"Japanese Writting help here"

Syrupsmummy - Yumi,has kindly agreed to a thread being started on here where you can post pieces with Japanese writting on.

When able to,Yumi will have a look & see if she can help translate any writting.

There may not be an overwhelming amount,but i know i find pieces every now & then that i would be gratefull for any help with!

Message 1 of 49
Latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: "Japanese Writting help here"

Laney, if the sword belonged to Japanese military officer in 1942 it must be military sword. I will check around more when I have time ๐Ÿ™‚

Photobucket
Message 41 of 49
Latest reply

Thank you so very much, Yumi.

Your time and effort to help us is very much appreciated.

Erica :-x

Message 42 of 49
Latest reply

Erica,yes i wanted to see,i'm a sticky beak.

I get pleasure outta seeing everyones bits n pieces,never know i may like something so much i will start a collection.

Just what i need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The vase is very,very nice,thank-you!

Message 43 of 49
Latest reply

No problems, Kitty,

We all love to share, especially when we can learn something.

The vase has a beautiful glace, and the painted pattern could not easy be replicated. The faint grey looking edgings are really a shading of palest blue and lilac. Could be just a run-off of the brown glace. It is very effective.

I have been searching for chinese marks, but so far have not found anything similar. I have had the vase for a few years now and always wondered about the mark.

Hopefully one day I will find out where it came from or who the potter is. Don't  like to list anything if I can't describe the item properly.

Message 44 of 49
Latest reply

Lind, you cant find japanese or chinese for that because it is KOREAN. Theres your starting point.

Message 45 of 49
Latest reply

Thank you very much, bsal.

Now I have somewhere else to search. It will be interesting what th end result will be.

BTW, what makes you say it is Korean? Just curious. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Message 46 of 49
Latest reply

Hi Syrupsmummy.

Another piece,are you able to tell me anything about it please.

I think it may be for drinking Suke,could it be an "ochoko" or poss for sml amounts of food or dipping sauces.

2 photo's,i think the first is the right way.

Many thanks kat

Message 47 of 49
Latest reply

Hi, In the meantime, this is not for drinking sake or ochoko. It looks more like a dipping sauce bowl as you suspect. Most commonly used with soy sauce for sushi and sashimi. I don't know the name of it though.

Sometimes these are also used for pickles, Tsukemono.

image host
Message 48 of 49
Latest reply

Cheers KH,i have had this for a long time,feels old but may not be.

Message 49 of 49
Latest reply