Time sequence and bid sequence reporting issues

dpar3518_0-1708864715644.png

Bids closed at 25/02/24 at 19:00 AEDST - My (dpar) bid of $46 was timed as above at 13:57:54 but as one can see a 6**2 $45 bid was timed at 19:00:47 followed by my 2 higher bids of $46 and $55 (a $10 increase against myself ?) but those 2 bids were timed at 13:57:54 -  about 5 hours hours before the so called auto bidding was supposed to place my higher bids after 19:00:47- so what happened after 19:00:47 to my 2 higher bids which had those "wonky/incorrect" times reported?  - I would have thought higher bids would always be recorded at a later time sequence - it is an auction where the higher bid always winning, is it not ? It would seem that auto bidding can follow a very strange sequence in dates and times. The timing below is a exact copy from the full bidding ebay report - dates and times are out of sequence with the increasing bids but maybe there is an explanation which I would like to know.

dpar3518_1-1708867942640.png

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you all- a worthwhile research as to the workings of ebay bidding

View solution in original post

Message 26 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

What was the item number so that we can see the bidding for ourselves ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

(266680701210)
99.80 %Feedback percentage for
Your max. bid: AU $55.00

Also my screen showed $33 and that bid winning as the system counted down to 18:00:00 AEST
and did not show any change in my bid status from 19 Feb 24 to auction closing . Often the bids and offers page did not show I had a bid- I was "not bidding on any items"
The $10 bid acceleration after 19:00:47 seems to allow the winner to get to $56 in less than 1 second - from 19:00:47 to 19:00:48 (when I had 2 bids at 13:57:54 AEDST - how quick is that even if it was 5 hours before)

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

A****A  most probably put in their $56 bid at the last second,  and 6****8  had an autobid top range of $55.

So as soon as A****A put in their bid, it maxed out 6****8 and tool A****A as the high bid.

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

Your sequencing does not take into account the 'wrong' timing reported and there is no 6***8 bid  - it seems there can be more than 1 bid per second and my 2 bids were made 5 hours earlier - the last bid was actually made in the 48 th second so bids can be made 48 seconds after close -  also why did my screen show no bidding after my $33 bid which continually showed me winning - indeed the  $55 bid was mine and not 6***8  - 6***2 had 2 bids at 19:00:47 and my 2 bids at 13:57:54 (???) maxed out that bid, 47 seconds after closing or 5 hours before closing (take your pick)- no logic there - and why did my accelerated $55 bid max out my $46 bid by $10 when the bid rise was supposed to be $1 - - I understand auto bids are in italics - how did a bidder manage to get a bid at $56 approved at 48 seconds after 19:00:00 close.

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

The close is 19:00, not 19:00:00.

The auto bids will be increased automatically to the lowest bid needed to outbid a previous or current bid, up to the maximum bid by that bidder. In a hotly contested auction, it will look far more confusing than this, as competing bids and auto bids will reset the bids placed and incremental times will scramble to reflect what’s happening/happened.

Auction snipe bids set up with Gixen or similar will have a time (seconds, microseconds) advantage over manual or auto bids on eBay. 

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

Well, the actual close was after 19:00   namely 19:00:48

The reply does not address my reported 13:57:45 bids

I will not be bidding again as relying on the ebay auto  biding creates incorrect timing (can be incorrect by 5 hours illustrating the excessive 'scramble' involved) which means I can never win an auction. How Gixen or similar accelerates my $46 bit to $55 is questionable but there will be no answer from ebay or anyone else and I cannot accept that is fair or just a glitch or normal ebay business fairness and practice. How Gixen or ebay system allows the 19:00 close time to really be 19:00:48 is also questionable given it accepts microsecond bidding. Seems 'sniping' is allowed as fair and reasonable practice.

Gixen has a time advantage over manual or auto bids only if ebay allows that and obviously ebay does if the above reply is accurate. I have also cancelled my ebay membership. $5 for nothing is a waste where I will no longer be bidding. A real fixed price and a guarantee the new not used goods are as described will be sufficient for me from now on.

No solutions and no help in the replies has helped me make a fair and valid decision. But I have learned a lot from the replies above which indicate a 'Gixen' thing exists and that is the solution generally accepted as best ebay bidding - forget the auto thing

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

Farewell and may fortune smile on thee in whatever travels lie ahead.

There’s no fee for joining eBay.

However, it’s probably best that you eschew eBay as its auction format is clearly not for you.

For the benefit of anyone else who may come across this thread in the future…

1. Yes, sniping is permitted. See https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/auctions-bidding/bid-sniping?id=4224

2. Automatic bidding may see your bid immediately outbid if someone else has placed an automatic bid with a higher maximum than yours. Your visible placed bid will increase by increments if/when other bids are placed that are higher than the current increment of your automatic bid. See https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/auctions-bidding/bidding-works?id=4014

3. The latest time at which bids can be placed is apparently not to the second but to the microsecond, wherein a time not reaching the next second is still contained within the allowed timeframe. In other words, whole-time increments to the second, including the final second in full before the next second is reached.

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

Would not want anyone to be mislead by my time sequencing

Ebay prime is $5 per month

However, this timed interval was not a whole timed increment of 1 second after bids closed at 19:00 but 48 seconds more- or so the record shows

From 3 above the final second would be 19:00:00 if indeed the closing time was 19:00

The winning bid was at 19:00:48 but with 2 bidders, the ebay computer can take up to 49 seconds to decide

Discrepancies were not addressed in any of the most helpful replies were:

1 My $46 and $55 bids being recorded as 13:57:54 even though they seemed to have happening after 19:00:47 but should have been reported at some other time within the stated closing time interval of 1 second

2 My screen showing the $33 bid right through to the bid close times of 19:00 or 19:00:48  - which ever is the correct time

3 increments within the band $25 to $99 are at $1 so how did my $46 bid increase by $9 to $55

Obliviously, the $55 bid was in response to something happening between 19:00:47 and 19:00:48

4 the 6***u and 6***2 bid times are incorrect as to date and/or times

A simple solution would be to state the bidding sequence above is incorrect rather than just ignore it. the auction perhaps finished at 19:00:48 so my $46 and $55 bids were microseconds before that OR the bidding sequence is incorrect with my 2 bids being microseconds after 18:59:59 with the winning bid microseconds before 19:00. In other words, the bidding sequence reported can be incorrect due to whatever happens at close time if more than 2 bids.

I looked at a page somewhere which seemed to indicate the snipe may fail because auto was better - just  leave it up to ebay

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

Either way your highest bid was less than the other bid be it a snipe bid or heaven forbid another human,   thats how auctions work, whoever is prepared to pay the highest amount wins

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply