A 'techie' person to reception, please.

I have a mate (UK) who has just registered on eBay. Now although the UK eBay boards are an exact facsimile of the Oz ones in every way, for some odd reason he does not have the HTML option at the top of the posting page, centred between the 'Rich Text' and the 'Preview' field.

Is this because he is a new member, and hasn't been registered as yet for a month, or is it because eBay don't like his ID, working on the premise that, 'if your face doesn't fit' scenario ?

"Curiouser and Curiouser", cried Alice.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

ecar3483
Community Member

Does he need the HTML option?

Is it that he's simply feeling left out?

Does HTML stand for How To Make Laughs?

Smiley LOL

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

023_demotivational-dog.jpg

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

@ecar3483 wrote:

Does he need the HTML option?

Is it that he's simply feeling left out?

Well he's an amateur photographer, and I think he'd probably like at some point to post piccies. As for feeling left out, I told him that he's probably on some kind of probationary period whereby if he doesn't upset the Moderators - all too easily done over there I can assure you - he will after this 'be a good boy' time elapses, be granted the official eBay 'Right to post Images, Pics, and Graphics' diploma.

You may ask why he or I don't ask on the UK branch.? Well if you enter the 'Techie Dept', it could be over a week before someone wakes up to respond to your question, and I vowed some time ago never to post on the RT or the FH&G again. It's all too depressing. He I think may be too shy *cough*, so asked me to ask you sensible, friendly, and compliant Australians instead.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

biglolcat
Community Member

Which version of AOL is he using?

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

baybizz
Community Member

Electric: That is odd. Has he tried logging in to the Australia and US boards to see if it has the same effect?

http://community.ebay.com/t5/The-Soapbox/bd-p/2124

>> #2: Does he need the HTML option?

I use it for posting HTML links to pics stored on my off site host (Photobucket).  Also, as there are, for some reason, no text alignment buttons, HTML tags are the only way I can find to centre text and/or pics on the page:

www.community.ebay.com.au/spirit/Rock-Your-Day/1865963#M540835

I have just noticed there is also an "insert code" button (i), but I can't make head or tail of it...

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

I shall consider myself enlightened, in that things are done differently under different jurisdictions.

I hope he "passes with flying colours".

Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@baybizz wrote:

Electric: That is odd. Has he tried logging in to the Australia and US boards to see if it has the same effect?

>> #2: Does he need the HTML option?

I have just noticed there is also an "insert code" button (i), but I can't make head or tail of it...

1). Good thinking, Batman. I rang him earlier and gave him your suggestion. He tried both the CS and the US Soapbox, and he says that the HTML is exactly where it should be, between the 'Rich Text' box and the 'Preview'. So obviously he's not on some kind of good behaviour exercise.

2). I think he intends posting his own photographs on there, and secondly, using his own smileys. He reckons the eBay ones installed are all like escapees from the Hammer House of Horrors. Must say I agree.

Like yourself BB, I'm not sure what that 'Insert Code' function is for. All it does as far as I can make out, is transfer whatever you type into it onto the message page. (!) If you C&P the address of a gif into the equasion (plus code), it adds the whole address and code. Bizarre.  

*gives up*

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Well he's an amateur photographer, and I think he'd probably like at some point to post piccies.

why cant he use the other insert

image option? 

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Have they tried going into settings and checked it's not turned off in there?

How do I set my viewing preferences?

You can make a lot of changes in the way you look at community pages -- from the time zone and language, to text size, to the way menus behave, the order that messages appear, your privacy settings, kudos leaderboards and more.

To set your viewing preferences:

1. Click My Settings to go to your My Settings page. Click the Preferences tab.
    Tip:This page has lots of tabs for the different kinds settings you can change. If this is your first visit, take a moment to click through the tabs and see what's available. If you already know, you can go right to the tab and make your changes.
  2. Make your changes and click Save Changes.
    That's all there is to it!
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply