Aldi almonds could contain peanuts

imastawka
Honored Contributor

The investigation stems from a Victorian mother who lodged a formal complaint with the supermarket after she claimed she bought a packet of Aldi brand 'Natural Almonds' which turned out to be peanuts.

The woman's child has serious allergies, leading her to post a photo of the packet of nuts onto an allergy group on Facebook on Tuesday.

'Package states almond though it's packed with peanuts' the woman's caption to the post read.

Aldi is urgently investigating claims a popular brand of it's almonds could actually contain peanuts after a Victorian mother made a post to Facebook showing a mislabelled packet

Commenters on the post were outraged at the alleged packaging error.

'That's a recall right there,' one woman wrote.

This is so wrong,' another said. 

'Deadly.' a third commenter said. 

In a statement issued by Aldi to news.com.au the company confirmed they had been contacted by a customer who claimed to have purchased a mislabelled product. 

'As the product is labelled 'almonds' and it is claimed to contain peanuts, we are moving at pace to validate this claim,' the spokeswoman said.

'Since receiving this customer contact, our immediate action has been the review of all products in our stores and the stock in our warehouses. To date, we have not discovered another case.'

As of Wednesday night Oh So Natural Wholefoods Natural Almonds are not listed as a recalled product on Aldi's website. 

In March 2018, Oh So Natural Wholefoods Almond Cashew and Cranberry bites were recalled by Aldi after the discovery the product contained peanuts.

Daily Mail Australia has contacted Aldi for comment. 

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/fears-popular-brand-of-aldi-almonds-could-contain-peanuts-i...

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I'd rather pick up a packet of peanuts marked almonds than a packaged salad with a spider in it.

🙂

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Bad error if it is so. Lots of people are allergic to one of those nuts but not the other, with peanuts usually causing the most allergic reactions.

I am a bit amazed anyone could pick up that packet as shown in the photo though and buy them as almonds as you'd think you would see the difference immediately.

My concern would be for packets of almonds that might have just a few peanuts mixed in with them as that would be more likely to catch someone out.

I am finding it strange that there would only be one case of mis labelled product. That's odd. You'd think if there has been a mistake on an assembly line it would affect more than one bag.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Most packets like that have something on them to say "may contain ... (other nuts)...". If her child has an allergy she should know what a peanut actually looks like so I'm more than a bit sceptical that it ever happened. That packet doesn't look quite right. I reckon she's been paid to do it.
Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
Most packets like that have something on them to say "may contain ... (other nuts)...". If her child has an allergy she should know what a peanut actually looks like so I'm more than a bit sceptical that it ever happened. That packet doesn't look quite right. I reckon she's been paid to do it.

With litigation going the way of how the yanks do it there are now big bucks to be made from some of these

"mistakes" and it may cause false claims to be made in the hope of a payout.

As the back of the packet states that it may contain Peanuts the comments about recalls,deadly,etc are

complete rubbish and it would give them a legal out.

How someone can buy a packet of Almonds and not see how it has Peanuts instead is beyond me (especially

if they have a child that has serious allergies and all their food has to be checked that it does not contain products

that can affect them such as Peanuts which is clearly stated on the back of the packet).stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

@go-tazz wrote:

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

With litigation going the way of how the yanks do it there are now big bucks to be made from some of these

"mistakes" and it may cause false claims to be made in the hope of a payout.

As the back of the packet states that it may contain Peanuts the comments about recalls,deadly,etc are

complete rubbish and it would give them a legal out.

How someone can buy a packet of Almonds and not see how it has Peanuts instead is beyond me (especially

if they have a child that has serious allergies and all their food has to be checked that it does not contain products

that can affect them such as Peanuts which is clearly stated on the back of the packet).stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Spec savers perhaps?

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

"Spec savers perhaps?"    creature.jpg

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

I actually thought when I posted the article that she was after money.

So, it's a case of wait and see, I guesss.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Okay....another news item says she 'picked up' the packet.

So, did she buy them, or just take a photo instore and complain?

It comes after a Victorian mother lodged a formal complaint with the supermarket chain after she picked up a packet of Aldi brand “Natural Almonds”, which turned out to be filled with peanuts.

https://www.kidspot.com.au/news/melbourne-mums-horror-over-aldis-deadly-mistake/news-story/481f84efb...

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

I'd rather pick up a packet of peanuts marked almonds than a packaged salad with a spider in it.

🙂

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

I actually thought when I posted the article that she was after money.

So, it's a case of wait and see, I guesss.

It's very telling that Aldi didn't  issue any recall. They obviously suspect the same thing.

Mind you, I am a bit annoyed with Aldi lately and I wrote to tell them so.

My problem wasn't with what a packet contained but with what it didn't contain. I bought a packet of their gluten free blueberry muffin mix that advertised itself as nut free/dairy free, you name it.

It was also blueberry freeSmiley Mad

And to make it, you had to add-butter, milk, eggs and your own blueberries as well as a pack of choc bits.

Yes, I know i should have read the back of the pack before I bought but I was less than impressed, i can tell you!

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply