Amnesty International details ‘ethnic cleansing’ by Islamic State in Iraq

nero_bolt
Community Member

AMNESTY International has accused Islamic State jihadists of “systematic ethnic cleansing” and mass killings of minorities in northern Iraq.

Citing harrowing accounts from survivors of massacres, the rights group says ina report published on Tuesday that the jihadists have committed “war crimes, including mass summary killings and abductions”.

“The massacres and abductions being carried out by the Islamic State provide harrowing new evidence that a wave of ethnic cleansing against minorities is sweeping across northern Iraq,” said Donatella Rovera, Amnesty’s Senior Crisis Response Adviser currently in northern Iraq.

The Sunni radical group IS has pressed a campaign of terror in areas under its control in Syria and Iraq, which it has declared an Islamic caliphate, carrying out decapitations, crucifixions and public stonings.

In June, the group launched a lightning offensive in Iraq, overrunning parts of five provinces and targeting minorities there including Yazidis on Mount Sinjar, Shiite Turkmen and Christians.

“The Islamic State is carrying out despicable crimes and has transformed rural areas of Sinjar into blood-soaked killing fields in its brutal campaign to obliterate all trace of non-Arabs and non-Sunni Muslims.

The Amnesty report — named Ethnic cleansing on historic scale: the Islamic State’s systematic targeting of minorities in northe...— provides witness accounts of mass killings.

The watchdog said two of the “deadliest” incidents took place in the Yazidi villages of Qiniyeh and Kocho on August 3 and August 15 respectively.

“The number of those killed in these villages alone runs into the hundreds,” it said.

Survivors said jihadists rounded up men and boys, bundled them into vehicles and drove them away “to be massacred in groups or shot individually”.

A survivor from the Kocho killings said jihadists “just filled up vehicles indiscriminately”.

Amnesty also related the fate of brothers Saeed and Khaled who had lost seven brothers in the massacre. 

Saeed ... was shot five times, three times in his left knee and once in the hip and shoulder,” it said.

Salem, another survivor, told Amnesty how he hid near a massacre site for 12 days before being able to flee, while other villagers lay helpless.

“Some could not move and could not save themselves, they lay there in agony waiting to die. They died a horrible death. I managed to drag myself away and was saved by a Muslim neighbour,” he said.

Amnesty reported mass abductions of women and children, saying “hundreds, possibly thousands” of Yazidis were seized by IS jihadists along with scores of men.

The mass killings and abductions have succeeded in terrorising the entire population in northern Iraq, leading thousands to flee in fear for their lives,” said the watchdog.

In some cases entire families were abducted, it said, adding that one family provided Amnesty with a list of 45 missing relatives.

Amnesty’s Rovera urged Iraqi authorities to track down and bring to justice “those ordering, carrying out or assisting in these war crimes”.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/world/amnesty-international-details-ethnic-cleansing-by-islami...

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

They just worked this out?? I suppose its better than nothing, at least its more than the UN has done, nothing.

After this UN failure, added to many of the other failures to act,  we should withdraw from it or at the very least, withdraw the millions we pay it.

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

What exactly do you expect UN to do?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/08/20/u-n-iraq-crisis-most-rapidly-intensifyi...

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

@lightningdance wrote:

They just worked this out?? I suppose its better than nothing, at least its more than the UN has done, nothing.

After this UN failure, added to many of the other failures to act,  we should withdraw from it or at the very least, withdraw the millions we pay it.

Nothing?

Except getting their troops killed trying to fight a losing battle against an army supplied with weapons by Russia whilst doing everything they can to bring about resolution.

If anything, a conflict like this should spur countries into giving MORE support the the UN.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

@lightningdance wrote:

Except getting their troops killed trying to fight a losing battle against an army supplied with weapons by Russia whilst doing everything they can to bring about resolution.

If anything, a conflict like this should spur countries into giving MORE support the the UN.

I do not think Russia is supplying them with weapons, al-Assad is their friend, they are supporting him.  I have been asking the question who sells weapons to IS, and so far nobody answered.  But this article claims that some came from Bulgaria, Croatia, Romania and Ukraine.

http://www.worldtribune.com/2014/08/14/former-east-bloc-countries-aided-turkey-said-funneling-weapon...

And also they have whatever they manage to get from Syrian a*r*s*enal and now what they captured in Iraq.

UN definitely need more support to deal with humanitarian catastrophe.  

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

@lightningdance wrote:

I think you'll find that the traveling cocktail party known as the UN has gone into committee mode. Remember how the UN responed to the crisis in Rwanda.

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

The UN lost ALL credibility after theri failure in Rwanda. Years  later they admitted they should have done something but they did nothing whilst watching hundreds of thousands of people hacked to death.

The UN is a massive failure, a rort that does nothing and costs billions.

The US stopped paying the UN in the 80's, I'm not sure when they resumed payment to this rabble but I know the amount was horrendous and still they do nothing.

A comment on isil would be something, a worldwide broadcast on isil would be something but what have we got...........zzzzzzzzzz

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

1888833_781632948544758_5478597457622691929_o.jpg

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

@village_person wrote:

I think you'll find that the traveling cocktail party known as the UN has gone into committee mode. Remember how the UN responed to the crisis in Rwanda.

I am wondering what you think the UN actually does?

Their main remit is peace keeping and intergoverment negotiations. They are not a military force.

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

@lightningdance wrote:

A comment on isil would be something, a worldwide broadcast on isil would be something but what have we got...........zzzzzzzzzz

What comment do you expect.

They ARE in Syria. They have had troops die in Syria. They are helping refugees get out of Syria. They are running food drops through Syria.

What else do you expect them to do?

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply