Any mature age uni students here?

I got accepted into uni, starting in Semester 2(July). Would love to discuss all things uni, including where to take a nap without being disturbed, between classes. 😄 My uni actually records the lectures, and makes puts them online for viewing and download. Makes me wonder why people would bother showing up for lectures. I'll be going to all the lectures and tutorials though.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Congratulations, and good luck 🙂

I have finished up but I can tell you that a good nap spot is in any library, they always have hidden nooks 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

I was one, a few years ago. Never had any 'naps, although laid down on the lawn a few times. Get too comfy doing that and you don't want to get up and go to the next class though.

I preferred going to real lectures on specific days at a specific time. We only had one subject with 90% of the lectures online, and I kept putting off watching it (it was dead boring as well).

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Yes, you do see a few snoozing students in the Uni library. They only  extended & upgraded our local Uni library with comfy chairs et after I graduated.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Well done!

What're you studying?

You will have the best time!

As for naps, join a research team, they get their own offices, or make the honour roll, then you get your own building LOL

I only go to lectures that are captured if I am already on campus.

But there really is huge benefit in going, if you have questions you can ask right away, and after class, you can recap with your classmates - I find that really beneficial - there is always a post lecture study group somewhere immeduiately after a lecture, so most of us try to leave at least an hiour free following a lecture - sometimes you can't though

Plus, your lecturers will have compulsory consultation times. Well they are compulsory for them, they HAVE to make themselves available for 2 x 2 hours a week - ours is on a drop in basis during those times - and very few people go! It's like private tutoring with the dude who writes your exam! Spend 20 minutes a week with them, and it's like an entire revision on everything. That is one of the most brilliant resources the uni provides, so make the most of that.

the good thing about capture is that means in the lecture you can sit back and listen without worrying about taking too many notes - kind of get an overview iykwim

Then later you watch the capture and you can pause and rewind and take the most detaileed notes you can/want, cross reference what you want etc...

then once more - listen - just put it on iPod and listen while you go for a walk, or work out or something - dunno, seems to pull it all together

then condence your lecture slides and notes into 3 or 4 A4 pages, and then again into 1, so that you have already got your study materials ready for revision for exams.

you should be able to get one week of uni down to 1 A4 page of notes max. your notes shouild only by then need to be short points to jog your memory - the detail already in your head iykwim

You are going to have such a good time - it's an amazing world

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

I was wanting to sleep in the lecture theatres after the lectures, but I am scared that I might get locked in. 😄

Any social clubs worth joining? I'll be joining the chess club, and maybe the computer club. If there are art or music clubs, I might join them too.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

that varies from uni to uni  and what students start

can't nap in a lecture theatre LOL - prolly another class following you in

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

@*crikey*mate* wrote:

What're you studying?

Engineering. 🙂

Are you a current uni student?

Yeah, I am thinking of forming study groups for each of my units. And being able to ask questions during/after lectures is why I'll be attending the lectures. So is the ability to pop into their offices if I need help.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

I finished some post grad stuff a few years ago now. Would love to go back fro more study.

Abd yep - the library is the nap centre lol.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

A few students sleep in the lectures as well, especially the late afternoon ones!

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply