Anyone else excited by

The release of the 1921 census for England and Wales?

I am, I've been waiting for this. Unfortunately it is only on Find my past and is currently a pay per view deal. Apparently it will be that way for the next 3 years so I am going to have to pay out a bit of money to see all the ones i want to see.😶

I was a bit disappointed to read this though.

The publication of these documents marks the last significant census release for England and Wales in many of our lifetimes as the 1931 Census was destroyed in a fire and the 1941 Census was never captured due to the Second World War. The next census will not be available until 2052.

😶

The 1921 Census reveals the rapid social and cultural change the country was undergoing, with the changing role of women and the impact of World War 1 proving particularly apparent.

Owing to the vast number of men who fell in the war, the Census reveals there were 1,096 women for every 1,000 men recorded, with this discrepancy being the biggest for those aged between 20 and 45. This means there were over 1.7 million more women than men in England and Wales, the largest difference ever seen in a census.

Over 16,000 people recorded their marital status as the newly-added 'divorced' but this figure is likely to be much higher due to the stigma surrounding divorce at the time.

There was a 35% increase in the number of people recorded in hospitals from the 1911 Census, three-quarters of whom were men. Presumably many were still suffering from wounds received in the war.

Thanks to the additional information recorded on the status of parents and children, the Census also reveals the devastating impact the war had on families with over 730,000 fatherless children being recorded versus 261,000 without a mother. 

Just as we are coping with Covid-19 today, the 1921 Census also reveals how the Spanish flu affected the psyche of the population, with one record being stained with disinfectant.

If you are at all into family history though, you can still look up people on the census, for free. It will tell you their location and some of the people living in the house with them. You only need pay if you want the whole transcript or record.

Hope this helps any others out there who are interested.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Anyone else excited by

LOL - not really interested in Ancestry - just happy there are no Royals back there.

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

That’s what you say, Queen Domino..,

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

That’s what you say, Queen Domino..,

Actually it's Lady Dom.

Come to think of it - it's also Lady Stawks. lol

We both have ' Scots Titles '.

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

Lady Dom? Ooooookay.

Spoiler
(Am I the only person who thinks that sounds just slightly like the professional name of a dominatrix?)
Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

Lady Dom? Ooooookay.

You're alone on that one. lol

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

g_chortle.gif

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

LOL - not really interested in Ancestry - just happy there are no Royals back there.

I found out on one line I am a 15th cousin or some such to Diana Spencer. I am not sure it will get me an invite to Buck palace though.😁

Much, much closer is a convict ancestor who was transported for his thieving ways in about 1845. I knew one of his daughters, she was my great grandmother. A convict is sort of Australian royalty.😁

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

I am waiting for Scotlands People to release the 1921 census later this year.

I have not been able to find my grandfather on the 1901 nor the 1911 census.

He has a rather common Scottish name and I dont know which middle name he used..........(he had 3)

I dont know who brought him up...........(his parents passed)

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

@flashie* wrote:

I am waiting for Scotlands People to release the 1921 census later this year.

I have not been able to find my grandfather on the 1901 nor the 1911 census.

He has a rather common Scottish name and I dont know which middle name he used..........(he had 3)

I dont know who brought him up...........(his parents passed)

That is so frustrating for you. I could not find my grandfather on the 1911 census at first. He wasn't with his mother, step father and family. Eventually located in a Home for waifs and fatherless boys.🤤

He was under his middle name (John). He was christened Leonard John but forever afterwards apparently known as John L.

It can be so hard if the names are a bit different or have been transcribed incorrectly.

Good luck with your search!

The problem is, if we can't find people on this 1921 census, there won't be another released till 2052. I hadn't realised that.

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply