Apology Day ~ 5 years on :)

lobs211
Community Member

Can you believe its been 5 years ago today that Mr Rudd said sorry :-x

Such a special special day & still means so much to so many people.

So many have passed knowing that they were acknowledged.

We got a morning tea today, we still saying thanks!

My Aunt wore a T shirt with the word THANKYOU on it LOL, nothing else just that

So 5 years on thanks Mr Rudd & thanks Australia 🙂

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

🙂 It was well overdue, well deserved, and thank you for this thread. :-x

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Yes it was a good day for the country lobs. 🙂

I thought I would reprint the governments apology as a reminder:

Today we honour the Indigenous peoples of this land, the oldest continuing cultures in human history.

We reflect on their past mistreatment.

We reflect in particular on the mistreatment of those who were Stolen Generations – this blemished chapter in our national history.

The time has now come for the nation to turn a new page, a new page in Australia's history by righting the wrongs of the past and so moving forward with confidence to the future.

We apologise for the laws and policies of successive Parliaments and governments that have inflicted profound grief, suffering and loss on these our fellow Australians.

We apologise especially for the removal of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children from their families, their communities and their country.For the pain, suffering and hurt of these Stolen Generations, their descendants and for their families left behind, we say sorry.

To the mothers and the fathers, the brothers and the sisters, for the breaking up of families and communities, we say sorry.

And for the indignity and degradation thus inflicted on a proud people and a proud culture, we say sorry.

We the Parliament of Australia respectfully request that this apology be received in the spirit in which it is offered as part of the healing of the nation.

For the future we take heart; resolving that this new page in the history of our great continent can now be written.

We today take this first step by acknowledging the past and laying claim to a future that embraces all Australians.

A future where this Parliament resolves that the injustices of the past must never, never happen again.

A future where we harness the determination of all Australians, Indigenous and non-Indigenous, to close the gap that lies between us in life expectancy, educational achievement and economic opportunity.

A future where we embrace the possibility of new solutions to enduring problems where old approaches have failed.A future based on mutual respect, mutual resolve and mutual responsibility.

A future where all Australians, whatever their origins, are truly equal partners, with equal opportunities and with an equal stake in shaping the next chapter in the history of this great country, Australia.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

lobs211
Community Member

Aww thankyou greencat & Martini 🙂

greencat, I dunno who you are but I appreciate ur words and Martini thats great!! thanks

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

lobs211
Community Member

OMG ha ha just read the apology and tearing up ha ha

Makes me wanna kiss him LOL

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

You are welcome, my son is part aboriginal and I am pleased to say proud of his heritage and interested in the history. While apologies can never remove the hurt or injustice I hope they go along way towards making those affected realise that today - this would not happen, not if the people of Australia had anything to do with it. 🙂

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

lobs211
Community Member

Hey Greencat, where your lads family from? which area? If u dont mind saying? My Dad QLD, my Mun NSW, I live in Vic 🙂

I remember the rows I had in Chinwag LOL at this time 5 yrs ago, so many tellin me its all about money, compensation etc etc all rot & BS but people relly believed that, was soooo frustrating but its passed now, I think ppl now know there was no money, was never about suing anyone.

Thanks 🙂

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

My sons father is from Emerald in North Qld, if you do have any relli's up that way they would most certainly know the family I am quite sure. The tribe is Kandji. Family of 9 children.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

lobs211
Community Member

Greencat im running out the door ~ morning tea 🙂

nah my dads people = Wacka wacka Cherbourg miss

My Mum NSW

We follow our Mums path so I dont consider myself Wacka Wacka but my cousins are, my country in NSW

Have to run but would love to speak to you more some time

Thanks !!

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

lobs211
Community Member

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wrote Wacka Wacka :8} PMSL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha ha gotta go!

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply