Asbestos

there is some cement sheeting on our shed.  It looked old when we bought this house almost 20 years ago.  How likely it is asbestos, and how do we find out?

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Asbestos

Personally, I would just leave it in place.  And ensure it is painted on inner (if not lined) and exterior surfaces.   

Put on facemask.  Spray with water to handbrush clean. Paint. 

DEB

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 29
Latest reply

Asbestos

Most houses pre 85 I believe have some form of asbestos in.  Basically if it is not falling apart, the risk is minimal.  As long as you don't cut, saw, nail or screw it etc.  The best solution is to seal it via painting that minimises risk even more.

If it has cracked you can remove it yourself and take it to an approved waste site. There are procedures to follow if you decide to do that and you must be very careful.

If the other side has an orange peel effect to it (rough and bumpy) it is almost certainty asbestos, if it is smooth it could still be villa board with asbestos in because of the era it was built.  You can buy a test kit yourself if you are worried, just google.

I've lived in many houses with asbestos in, as long as you leave it alone it should be fine.

View solution in original post

Message 27 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Asbestos

I would say, assume it is until you KNOW it isn't.  

Im sure there are govt agencies who could tell you who to check with.  Probably different from state to state.

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

Asbestos

I found these contacts on a Comcare pdf

Australian Government – Department of Health and Ageing
www.health.gov.au 1800 020 103
ACT
www.asbestos.act.gov.au/home_owners 13 22 81
NSW
www.nsw.gov.au/fibro 13 10 50
NT
www.health.nt.gov.au/Environmental_Health/Asbestos_ Management/index.aspx
08 8922 7152
QLD
www.deir.qld.gov.au/asbestos/ 13 74 68
SA
www.safework.sa.gov.au 1300 365 255
TAS
www.asbestos.tas.gov.au/ 1300 366 322
VIC
www.health.vic.gov.au/environment/home/asbestos.htm 1300 761 874
WA
www.public.health.wa.gov.au/3/1143/2/asbestos_in_the_home.pm 08 9399 4999
Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

Asbestos

@***super_nova*** wrote:

there is some cement sheeting on our shed.  It looked old when we bought this house almost 20 years ago.  How likely it is asbestos, and how do we find out?

I would suggest to call in an Expert on the matter. Council Inspector etc. It may or not be an issue. 

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

Asbestos

Old tiles had asbestos in them for fire protection... You should have them inspected, it's common in older materials.
Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

Asbestos

imastawka
Honored Contributor

If it looked 'old' 20 years ago,  I'd say it's odds on that

it's asbestos.

Gunna cost an arm and a leg to have it removed by professionals

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

Asbestos

Do you have any info, drawings, plans etc from when you bought the property? They might show what the material is- your local Council may have more info as well.

We bought a 60s warehouse and decided to replace the roof, which was asbestos. Contrary to what seems to be popular opinion, it wasnt as expensive to remove and replace as we were lead to believe by others..and we had to get a crane and put scaffolding up on the street level.

We were told asbestos is only a problem if its been damaged- then the fibres are airborn..

***super_nova***, are you looking to replace your roof because its damaged?

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

Asbestos

They have to be removed professionally. In order not to be broken..
Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

Asbestos

What's the reason for wanting to know Super?  Thinking of pulling the shed down, or just because it's asbestos you want that sheeting gone?

DEB

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply