Asylum seeker boat turn-backs supported by 71 per cent in poll

nero_bolt
Community Member

The Prime Minister's turn-back policy is backed by 71 per cent of Australians.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/asylum-seeker-boat-turnbacks-supported-by-71-p...

A new poll also finds almost two-thirds of Australians back spying operations in Indonesia, another flashpoint for Mr Abbott to navigate after last year's revelations that Australia bugged Mr Yudhoyono's telephone.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

There is no explicit  mention in your OP of what poll it was was that produced that figure i.e who conducted it and how it was conducted. I am assuming, from your link, that it  was the Lowy poll - a nationwide poll of 1000 people.  If indeed the figures were taken forom this poll, then perhaps it would put things in perspective to consider those 1000 people as a percentage of Australia'stotal population (currently around 23,000,000) and state that 71% of that percentage indicated that they supported the policy

Perhaps someone a lot better at maths than I am could do the sums and tell me what percentage of 23,000,000  71% of 1000 is? 

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

There is no explicit  mention in your OP of what poll it was was that produced that figure i.e who conducted it and how it was conducted. I am assuming, from your link, that it  was the Lowy poll - a nationwide poll of 1000 people.  If indeed the figures were taken forom this poll, then perhaps it would put things in perspective to consider those 1000 people as a percentage of Australia'stotal population (currently around 23,000,000) and state that 71% of that percentage indicated that they supported the policy

Perhaps someone a lot better at maths than I am could do the sums and tell me what percentage of 23,000,000  71% of 1000 is? 

Same Lowy poll also shows that The nationwide survey of 1000 taken in February also shows strong support for offshore processing of asylum seekers, but in a sign of community divisions over boat arrivals, 57 per cent disagreed that ''no asylum seeker coming to Australia by boat should be allowed to settle in Australia''.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/asylum-seeker-boat-turnbacks-supported-by-71-p...

Depends how leading the questions were.

But on saying that I imagine most Australians WOULD be pleased that there are no boats reaching Australian shores. But then again we are all sitting under a mushroom aren't we? So it would be pretty easy to agree to something in principle when you have absolutely no information about it.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I bet if they'd polled 1000 random Aussies  in 1947 at least 71% of them would have agreed wirth Arthur Calwell in support of the White Australia policy. I sometimes wonder how far we've actually moved on since then.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@nero_wulf wrote:

A new poll also finds almost two-thirds of Australians back spying operations in Indonesia, another flashpoint for Mr Abbott to navigate after last year's revelations that Australia bugged Mr Yudhoyono's telephone.

Australians appear comfortable with the government spying on other countries – even allied countries. The majority of Australians believe it is acceptable to spy on China (65%), Indonesia (62%) and East Timor (60%), but also on the United States (54%) and even New Zealand (51%).

Key findings: Lowy Poll 2014

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Asylum seeker policy

Australians strongly support the government’s policy of turning back boats when safe to do so, with 71% in agreement. A majority (59%) support offshore processing of asylum seekers in places such as Nauru and Papua New Guinea. Temporary protection visas are more divisive, 48% agreeing with this policy idea against 49% disagreeing.

Less than half (42%) agree that ‘no asylum seeker coming to Australia by boat should be allowed to settle in Australia’.

Lowy Poll 2014

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply