Aussie 'hero' evacuated passengers from plane after crew panicked

Aussie 'hero' says he evacuated passengers from crashed plane after crew panicked

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-25/aussie-hero-says-he-evacuated-passengers-crashed-niugini-plan...

where is it that the crew of a plane are legally bound to be 'heroes' in an emergency?

if it was me it would be 'save my bacon first'

no, im no hero but i might survive.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

marwi_3023
Community Member
If I was on that aeroplane and the crew had told me to stay seated there is no way I would have listened to them and I would have made sure no one else did either
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Airplane crash.gif

David, was making the Gif when you posted the Flying High Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

Aussie 'hero' says he evacuated passengers from crashed plane after crew panicked

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-25/aussie-hero-says-he-evacuated-passengers-crashed-niugini-plan...

where is it that the crew of a plane are legally bound to be 'heroes' in an emergency?

if it was me it would be 'save my bacon first'

no, im no hero but i might survive.

i really should fess up, ive never been on a plane and i'm unlikely to ever be on one, volunarily anyway.

it could happen if i was flown via emergncy flight to adelaide for medical treatment.

one of many worse fears.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I'm not too keen on flying,

Get anxious and often are stopped going through airport security.

Either that, or I just look sus.

Watching those Air Crash Investigations shows didn't help.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

marwi_3023
Community Member
I miss the old days when you could go and sit in the cockpit.
Years ago I was flying from Brisbane to Sydney and asked if I could visit the cockpit and before I could sit down the captain asked me what I did for a job and when I replied that I drove the tram in Adelaide both the captain and pilot turned and said "do you, we love the Glenelg tram"
Funny thing is I always wanted to be a pilot
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

There was a time when the cabin crews were earning really good money; they do not now, and those with Asian airlines are underpaid and overworked and work under conditions much worse then Australian.  My daughter worked for Ansett before they went bust, and even then the conditions were pretty harsh; they were on call pretty much 24/7, although they could "block" days out, but if you blocked too much you never got any shift.  They could call anytime and expect you to clock on within an hour.  That meant you had to be always clean and showered, have your uniform next to you and not to have had an alcoholic drink in preceding 24 hours (or whatever could show if tested). 

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply