Consumers being duped

marwi_3023
Community Member
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-26/how-long-should-a-fridge-tv-laptop-or-smartphone-last/1043463...

I've never paid for an extended warranty because they always offer less years of cover than the item will already work for
Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Consumers being duped

me niether, if an item breaks under the standard warranty then i take it back where i got it, if it doesnt then its prolly good for a long time.

besides most of the dodgy products have dodgy back up too.

i try to buy the best i can afford, good brand names.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Consumers being duped

I've always thought those warranties were dodgy and you wonder how they can affect manufacturer warranties.

I have an old Westinghouse fridge (so old it uses freon gas) which has needed a few repairs over the years.  Luckily for me, nothing that has gone wrong has been related to the gas (because if that goes the fridge cannot be repaired) so it has been fixed without any issues. 

Mind you, some years ago even I was surprised when the compressor went and with all the receipts and paperwork from when I bought it as proof, the repair guy told me the compressor was covered under a 25 year warranty so I actually only had to pay for the labour, and not the new compressor.  Would an extended 5 year warranty cancel such long coverage?  I wonder.

It will be a sad day when the fridge finally gives up the ghost.  I like its coated wire rack shelving (not a big fan of glass shelves), and the pull out adjustable plastic storage containers in the doors.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Consumers being duped

I agree with the Choice guidelines on how long appliances should reasonably be expected to last for, but the problem is the guide isn't a real help if things do go wrong because as it stands, it's a bit vague. For instance, it lists categories-entry range price, mid range, top range, but doesn't put a dollar amount on any of the applianaces in any category.

For any real help to consumers, what is needed is longer warranties, in writing.

Some years back, I had a Simpson washing machine. It broke down under warranty. It was a major item-gear box. Replaced free. A few months later, another major thing.Also replaced free.

Then about a year or so after that, gear box again. I was out of warranty. Not by a lot but by a few months and they made me pay.

What recourse would I have had legally, that was worth the cost of pursuing?

To me, a lot of the warranties on quite expensive things are way too short.

I was looking at fridges a couple of years back. We bought a medium sized fridge (which had to be replaced a few months down the track as it was unrepairable apparently) but there were big fridges in the salesroom that cost eye watering amounts like $5000-$6000 etc and the salesman told us a lot of them were only lasting 4-5 years these days, that ever since they were all built in China and elsewhere, they weren't made to last the 20 years or more that older fridges routinely gave.

I'd like to see 5 year warranties as a norm on high end appliances that cost mega dollars. That would put an end to extended warranty sales too, or at least make them not as attractive.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Consumers being duped

imastawka
Honored Contributor

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-06-07/broken-but-out-of-warranty-you-still-have-rights/2749924

An excerpt -

Consumer help

Mr Samuel says the ACL guarantees mean consumers should not hesitate in taking a product back to the place they bought it if the good has a defect or failure that is unusual given its age, even if the warranty period has expired.

He says the ACCC or state departments of fair trading will help consumers if retailers refuse to honour their legal requirements.

"If we find that a retailer is not honouring the obligations imposed on the retailer under the consumer guarantee provisions of the Australia consumer law then the ACCC will take action to deal with those issues," Mr Samuel said.

Commercial law academics say the Australian Consumer Law largely makes extended warranties redundant, as consumers will often have legal protection against defects in the goods beyond the manufacturer's normal warranty anyway.

Many consumers are currently unaware of the law but from next year retailers will be required by regulations to display a notice that informs customers they have rights beyond any contractual rights included in a warranty.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply