Australia's amazing animal sounds

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I've lived in the same suburb for 30 years and over time I see and hear less and less Australian creatures that were common when I first arrived.  These days there's no kookaburras, no rosellas or lorikeets, no ochre coloured badge spiders finding their way into the house, no tiny frogs.

But a few weeks ago I was surprised to hear a series of short guttural erkkk...erkkk sounds coming from somewhere in the back yard.  It was too dark to see anything so I went online and found the sound on YouTube.....a brushtail possum. 

In all the years I've lived here I've not only never seen or heard one before, none of my neighbours have ever mentioned it either.  My cat was in her little outdoor run.  Perhaps the possum wasn't impressed at seeing her.

This is the sound I heard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8s_lYORrDo

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

A while back I was watching TV at night with the back door open and heard this gut wrenching growl outside. Honestly it was like something you'd expect to hear in a horror movie. It continued so I shut the door and was too frightened to check it out. It happened again over the next few nights, always starting when it became fully dark. My imagination was all over the place.

About a week later, and feeling somewhat uneasy, I listened really carefully when the sun went down. Because I was so alert, I thought I heard this pitter patter on the roof about 5 - 10 minutes before the growling started. I got up the nerve to venture outside with a torch and despite the hair standing up on my neck, I shone it on the neighbours tree and it was a possum! I have kept track of it since then and learned that it travels along the power lines and over my roof some nights and parks itself in the tree. The really great thing is she has since had a baby who travels with Mum sometimes.

It's ironic that I have gone from frightened to endeared, all because of an amazing animal sound.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

......until you have to listen to them fighting - for hours - hardly endearing.

More like Alien vs Predator

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

......until you have to listen to them fighting - for hours - hardly endearing.

More like Alien vs Predator

Those possums are probably horny males fighting for mating rights - so unbecoming.

My possum is a lady and a Mum.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

So Stawks doesn't like possums any more than she likes Wandering Jew (see I spelt it with a J just for youSmiley Wink)

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Yep.  Hate 'em both.    But running close with sugar ants and house flies.

Have to deal with all of the above.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply