Australia to get nuclear subs in new US, British partnership

The United States announced a new alliance Wednesday with Australia and Britain to strengthen military capabilities in the face of a rising China, with Canberra to get a nuclear submarine fleet and American cruise missiles.

The announcement of the alliance -- made in a video meeting by President Joe Biden, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison and his British counterpart Boris Johnson -- is sure to raise hackles in Beijing.

The three leaders did not mention China in unveiling the alliance, dubbed AUKUS, but their intent was clear,with each referring to regional security concerns.

Morrison emphasised the three nations' all respected "freedom" and "the rule of law", and that the alliance would help ensure security in the Indo-Pacific.

The first major initiative announced under the new alliance was the fleet of eight state-of-the-art nuclear-powered submarines for Australia.

https://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/australia-to-get-nuclear-subs-in-new-us-british-partnership/ne... 

About bloody time Aus started using nuclear power.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I have mixed feelings about this. It's kinda like standing up to a bully with your armed mates beside you. Will the bully back off or take up the challenge, but on their terms? I'd be interested to hear what Kevin Rudd has to say about this!

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Would you like to hear it in English or in Mandarin?

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

What are you implying? Do you think he's a spy, or a traitor? 

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@not_for_sale2024 wrote:

I'd be interested to hear what Kevin Rudd has to say about this!

gawd this made me laugh ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Great. $100 billion plus to try and get some voters to cross back over to the darkside next election. All's forgiven, Scott.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply