Australian of the year.

I would like to say congratulations to Rosie Batty. But it's hard when you've lost your child.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Australian of the year.

Outgoing chief commissioner Ken Lay (who officially steps down on January 31) has described Ms Batty as a remarkable woman intent on turning tragedy into a positive.

Message 21 of 28
Latest reply

@nevynreally wrote:

@boris1gary wrote:

She won it because of her fight to end domestic violence. All women for the first time ever.

She lost her son. Pretty sure I know which she'd rather have right now.

Can't argue with that  

Message 22 of 28
Latest reply

@j*oono wrote:

Did you all listen to her speech?  It was very moving.  Can't help but shed a tear.

No, can't say I saw it, but I'll find it & have a listen -

Message 23 of 28
Latest reply

Prince Phillip of Britian has just been announced as a Knight. What the heck is that all about?
Message 24 of 28
Latest reply

@nevynreally wrote:

I found it "off" because of the support for the law breakers in the other thread. They should get a break, they've grown. Comes across like a never mind, move on.I admire Rosie Batty.  But remain sad about the circumstances.

What is "off" is even thinking of any parallel. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 25 of 28
Latest reply

@jean2579 wrote:
Prince Phillip ofBritian has just been announced as a Knight. What the heck is that all about?

I am not really impressed that we have knights & dames again, but since we do, could not we find a worthy Australian?  When I heard the news this morning, still 1/2 asleep, I was hoping I misheard.  Smiley Frustrated

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 26 of 28
Latest reply

mire and respect her, it was an award well earned.

As for comparisons, there shouldn't need to be any.

Message 27 of 28
Latest reply

Congratulations to Rosie Batty, a most worthy recipient .

"I would like to dedicate this award to my beautiful son, Luke," she said in accepting the award. "He is the reason I have found my voice and I'm able to be heard."

Ms Batty said that while Australians live in a "wonderful country ... there remains a serious epidemic across our nation".
"Family violence may happen behind closed doors but it needs to be brought out from these shadows and into broad daylight," she said.

Ms Batty called on the Government to dedicate long-term secure funding to fighting family violence and urged the community to "speak up" against sexist attitudes.

"Do not ignore what you see and what you know is wrong," she said.
"To men, we need you to challenge each other and become part of the solution.
"Raise the conversation and don't shy away from this uncomfortable topic. We cannot do this without you."

But the strongest messages were reserved for those who remain in the grips of family violence, and her "little man" Luke.

"To the women and children who are unsafe, in hiding or living in fear, who have changed their names, left their extended families and moved from their communities to find safety, you do not deserve to live a life that is dictated by violence," she said.
"You are not to blame.

"To Luke, my little man, you did not die in vain and will not be forgotten.
"You are beside me on this journey and with me every step of the way."

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 28 of 28
Latest reply