Australian parents raising a generation of spoilt brats

A prominent Australian psychologist has warned Australia is currently raising a generation of spoilt brats, because their parents are "**bleep**" and "never say no".

Dr Michael Carr-Gregg believes today's parents have a lot to answer for, and there may be serious long-term consequences for Australia. 

An evolution in parenting styles over the last 20 years is to blame for the influx of bad parenting, Dr Carr-Gregg said.

"We've had people moving to these artificial villages called cities, primarily to get jobs and in doing so, a lot of the kinship networks have been destroyed.

An evolution in parenting styles over the last 20 years is to blame for the influx of bad parenting, Dr Carr-Gregg said.

"We've had people moving to these artificial villages called cities, primarily to get jobs and in doing so, a lot of the kinship networks have been destroyed.

"A lot of the wisdom around parenting, which was derived from grandparents, for example, has no longer been so readily available."

The consequences of bad parenting has both short- and long-term effects, warned Dr Carr-Gregg.

"The short-term consequences you can see in restaurants and in waiting rooms and in airports throughout Australia, where you have these kids who are just completely feral, running out of control.

"Parents don't do anything about it because they're frightened of being seen as bad parents or frightened to say no."

Dr Carr-Gregg said this style of parenting has major effects on the mental health of children and adolescents as they grow up.

"Long-term, I think what we're doing is infantilising a lot of children into incompetence."

Entire Article Here

Shopping on Friday, a kid was running up and down the aisle upsetting ppls shopping cart and running into ppl. His Dad never said a word. I wanted to tell the kid to stop his mad running but I wasn't game lol.

Message 1 of 67
Latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

manners and respect seems to be things of the past sadly imo Icebuddy..I do think so many "kids" these days are full of anger which doesn`t help I suppose....it`s not easy been a parent no-one tells you how it is...you are forever learning..no one is perfect

Message 2 of 67
Latest reply

Oh ya shold've had a go at him, Icy.  I cant stand out of control kids, if they were mine there would be severe consequences.

I was walking my dogs the other day passed a primary school and saw a big kid bullying a smaller kid.  I yelled  out to him something like "I saw that you nasty little boy, I'm going to talk to your principal about what I just saw."  

I didn't go to the principal but I think it scared him into stopping his bullying for the time being anyway.

Message 3 of 67
Latest reply

I totally disagree with that article.  Adults have been saying the same things about kids, for generations.  I think most kids, as they roll into adulthood, step up to the plate and become fine citizens.  My parents thought I was going to hades because I wore my skirts so short and smoked.  I became a productive member of society, despite what they thought would happen to me. 

Message 4 of 67
Latest reply

Most of us do raise our children to have manners and behave properly. Alas, children are not mini adults and do slip a little occasionally but that's not reason to justify the complete and utter generalisation and put downs of this generation of parents.

Message 5 of 67
Latest reply

Firstly, people have been pouring into cities for a lot longer than 20 years, so I don't think we can really blame that. Does the good doctor offer any solutions other than stop living in cites? It's hard enough being a parent without this sort of nefarious criticism.

Secondly, did you count the number of quiet, well behaved children in the supermarket. The squeaky wheel always gets the attention.
Message 6 of 67
Latest reply

yes can us aussies do anything right, first we are lazy, then leaners,  now we are told we can't raise our children properly...wonder what it will be tomorrow.

Message 7 of 67
Latest reply

I think there are a lot of other explanations.........I can't speak for OZ, because ol' Mr. McNay at South Geelong School was pretty free with ""the strap".......but in the US, the authorities are really quick to label a spanking as "child abuse"........and a "time out" in a bedroom with a tv, dvd player, computer and internet isn't quite the punishment it once was.  Then there is the propensity for "experts" to label a child as having ADD or ADHD, and start drugging him/her.

Message 8 of 67
Latest reply

I agree with Carr Gregg.  Speaking to a family friend years ago, who was a teacher at a high school, we discussed the slipping standards of discipline.  And parents not knowing how to parent.  

He blamed it on the motor car.Smiley Very Happy  Truly.  He said that since we started moving around we were separating from our "support teams" of family and community.  You married within your village.  You were all raised the same way.  No conflicting parenting advice.  

Generalizing, I feel that parents want to be friends with their kids; they don't want to be seen as disciplinarians.  

I think we need to look more at the animal world and view how instinct tells the mums and aunties and grannies to guide their young offspring to maturity.  The cub doesn't rule the pack.  And there is solidity in their life - no abandonment.

And as to saying "shhh" to a kid, I got into strife from the parent who defended their offspring.  But the child did "shut up".  I just needed the parent to "shut up" so that we could all have a happy supermarket experience.

DEB

Message 9 of 67
Latest reply

I was shopping in Aldi, and these kids (7/8 year olds) were running feral. Running between trolleys and shelves etc. Anyway after the third time of ducking and weaving I said do it again and I will run right over you. Mother gave me the death stare. Kids came pelting around again and I did. Not run right over but I didn't move my trolley and one collided with a counter. Death stare from mum.

Another time this child had been screaming on and on everytime he saw something he wanted which was constantly. Everyone was eye rolling and having mumbles. I said to the mother do you want to borrow my shoe, one whack that's all it takes. She gave him a smack on the butt with her hand finally and he did stop. She was worried that someone would have a go at her if she was to do that.

Shop assistant came over to me and I was thinking I was going to get told.

He said thank you so much, we can't say anything.

There in lays the problem. Some parents are scared of the looks or comments if they discipline.

Some as in the Aldi mum was happy because the kids were bothering others and not her, and didn't like the old duck with the trolley having something to say.Woman LOL

Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light.
Message 10 of 67
Latest reply