Australians Want Boat People Treated More Harshly. Strong Support For Abbott

quote:

' Most Australians think asylum seekers who arrive by boat are not genuine refugees and there is strong support for the Abbott government to treat boat arrivals more harshly '

http://m.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/australians-want-boat-arrivals-treated-more-h...

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

quote:

Only 30 per cent of Australians think asylum seekers should not be treated more severely, while 9 per cent are unsure.

A majority of Australians - 59 per cent - oppose refugees receiving government welfare assistance.  Only 27 per cent believe that refugees should receive government support.'  end quote

http://m.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/australians-want-boat-arrivals-treated-more-h...

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

its odd how people long for the good old days but abandon the spirit that made this a place worth living .

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

What a sad, terrible, shameful state of affairs. We certainly have gone from "she'll be right mate" to "I'll be right mate".

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

On this occasion then, I'm proud to be in a minority.

Creator of the Most Awesome Thread Topic EVER

@boris1gary wrote:

What a sad, terrible, shameful state of affairs. We certainly have gone from "she'll be right mate" to "I'll be right mate".

Yep, they demonise people shamelessly then survey those who read the demonising asking them to agree with the demoniser, then say told you so.

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Tony Abbott speech  - 'The point is not to provide sport for public discussion, the point is to stop the boats'..  9 Jan

Better not discuss it then.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

Shameful, disgusting and disgraceful to treat vulnerable people with such ignorant and selfish disdain.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

' Most Australians think asylum seekers who arrive by boat are not genuine refugees

That may be true - but does that make them right?

As the song in South Pacific says: 'You've got to be carefully taught' - and the Australian public has had some pretty careful teachers.

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

I am appalled then, I can't imagine anyone I know in that group who would think that let alone vote for it.

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply