Baby Gift Help!

I need an idea of what to buy a baby for a christening, the big problem, he's my grandson and I don't have much money to spare ( just around $100)

Any help will be appreciated.

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Baby Gift Help!

Yes, and a baby isn't going to remember whatever the occasion of the gift was.

How old do we need to be before we form lasting memories, I wonder?

Message 21 of 29
Latest reply

I don't know, my grandpa died when I was 7, and I still have lots of really fond and vivid memories of him. Grandma didn't leave until I was nearly 23, so I guess I have a lot more memories of her.

*shrugs*

I reckon kids could get a bit if a buzz out of watching their bank account grow, a few dollars here and there and the interest etc, and knowing there;s something there to make some dreams happen and knowing that it was "grandma and grandpa" that started that dream kinda thing.

Don't get me wrong, I think all of the things mentioned above are awesome ideas (I did like the cake knife one, has potential for 18ths, 21sts, weddings and then to becoame a real family hairloom) but really, how many of those things does a child still have on display or use as they get older and into adulthood, I bet most of them are just in a box most of the time, and what memories are there with that? Look back on it every time you move house and come across it when you unpack a box and go, "yeah, my grandma gave me that"

Gosh, I still have this little brooch with bluebirds on it and my name engraved on it - but really, what use is it to me?

I did get my kids the obligatory bunnykins, but only cos I have my mother's set which is signed by the artist and then my set, but it all just sits in the china cabinet. Can't say any of us have any attachment to it.

Had another thought though, how about the actual Christening gown? I got one made with all the smocking and embroidery etc on it and then I embroidered the names of all the kids in it as they used it along the inside seams - I sort of figured it might make a family heirloom kinda thing.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 22 of 29
Latest reply

banoras
Community Member

Have you been inspired yet los?

I was babysitting yesterday at my daughter's house, and asked her opinion.

She said that her children's Birth Certs are getting tatty sitting in the drawer, and a holder for them would have been most appreciated.  

Loved the silver one idea. 

Message 23 of 29
Latest reply

@the*f*word wrote:

Gosh, I still have this little brooch with bluebirds on it and my name engraved on it - but really, what use is it to me?

I collect bluebird jewellery and one engraved with the name  'the*f*word' would be really unique if you wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it...  Smiley Very Happy
Message 24 of 29
Latest reply

@*elizabeths-mum* wrote:

@the*f*word wrote:

I collect bluebird jewellery and one engraved with the name  'the*f*word' would be really unique if you wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it...  Smiley Very Happy

putting FISH on a baby's bluebird brooch would be kinda weird, wouldn't it? Tho I spose some of those celebrities do come up with some out of the box names for their babies, eh? But FISH??? Seriously?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 25 of 29
Latest reply

I thought it stood for fantasy.

Joono
Message 26 of 29
Latest reply

You are sure to find something under Baby -> Gifts -> Christening. Perhaps something that has been personalised.

Message 27 of 29
Latest reply

Silver has anti-microbial properties, which is why it's ok for babies' toys cos it's safe for them to chew on.

Message 28 of 29
Latest reply

BOOKS! The most precious, lifelong gift you can give a child is to instill in them a love of reading. A set of read aloud children's classics - A.A. Milne, Beatrix Potter, or if you want something more Australian, maybe Jackie French's Wombat Books - would be something to treasure and maybe pass down to their own children.

I still have a copy of "When We Were Very Young" that my mother used to read to me when I was a toddler. I can still recite great chunks of some of those poems. I have read them to my own children and grandchildren, and look forward to reading them to my very new little  great grandchildren as soon as they are old enough.

Message 29 of 29
Latest reply