Bondi Junction massacre

Approx 4.30pm a lone male went and stabbed 6 people to death at Bondi Junction shopping mall yesterday:-(

Another day to remember but for all the wrong reasons. What would make someone do this?

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Bondi Junction massacre

A brother in law of mine worked in the prison system for decades, sometimes in the high security sectors.

He has always stated that some of the most dangerous men there could turn on a dime, so to speak. Lovely and smiling one second, the next violently aggressive over the most trifling thing.

These men often/usually had diagnosed mental conditions.

One of BIL's comments was that if you knew what was walking around free on the streets, you'd be afraid.

I've known several people with mental health issues, and some of them not treated properly in the medical system, in my opinion, but none of these people were aggressive or a danger to others.

But not all mental illnesses are equal and schizophrenia is a serious one.

While most individuals with psychotic disorders will never commit violence, the risk of violence committed by people witht schizophrenia is up to 4 to 6 times higher than the general population.

Mixing it with illegal drugs increases the risk factor. From what I have read, those with mental illness are also more at risk of being victims of violence. What it comes down to is these people need lifelong support systems and lifelong treatment.

Whenever something bad happens, I guess everyone looks around for someone or something to blame. And yes, our health systems could do with more funding and so on, but the blame really comes down to one person.

Message 41 of 45
Latest reply

Christa Gail Pike was one who suffered schizophrenia and at 18 she was found guilty of a shocking murder and is still waiting on death row now. The murder was in 1996 and most of the time in jail and in court she laughed and smiled like nothing had happened!

Message 42 of 45
Latest reply

Nowhere does it state she suffered schizophrenia - severe metal illness - Bipolar disorder & PTS.

But sometimes the symptoms can overlap.

Message 43 of 45
Latest reply

As Dom pointed out my mistake in saying she suffered schizophrenia🤐

Message 44 of 45
Latest reply

Interesting story Nics - what a sad life she had - no wonder she was totally messed up.

Also interesting is the sentence if given today would be far different.

Message 45 of 45
Latest reply