Brighton siege

Melbourne police launch terror probe after deadly stand-off with Holsworthy plot gunman

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-06/islamic-state-claims-responsibility-for-brighton-siege/8591540

i heard our wonderful PM asking how was it this guy was out on the streets?

well mr PM, you said it yourself, he had a trial and was aquitted.

he had been in prison, served his time and had been released on parole.

isnt this exactly how our westminster system works?

if we start throwing people in jail for ever for something we think they might do in the future, well we will need a lot of new prisons, very BIG prisons.

i in no way condone this mans actions, but just what kind of place will australia be if we start locking up people with no evidence or trial?

Maybe to try to avoid terror attacks, the PM should make a speech apologizing for australias involvment in a war not sanctioned by the united nation that caused the deaths of thousands if not millions of innocent people. and pull our troops out of countries they have no business being in!

then start sending aid including money to the govts of those countries to try to repair the damage australia caused....no amount of aid and money can bring back the children, the mothers or fathers, brothers and sisters killed of course.

we should learn from our mistakes not just blindly continue along the same road.

we reap what we sow.

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Brighton siege

all good questions.

i dont have any answers and we should be asking these questions of our leaders/police

but i fear if we actually got a real answer it would be we can only take action 'after' a crime is committed. we dont take action because we think someone might commit a crime.

if there are people known to police that might do something and could be deported then they should be. but i'm guessing you also cant deport them for a crime not committed. there must be a reason or our police are just lousy at their job right?

its also possibly difficult to create a law that only covers this small group of possible terrorists without it also being able to be abused and used on others who have done nothing wrong, imagine a law that allowed the deportation of anyone we wanted to in the hands of ms hanson?

Message 31 of 34
Latest reply

New Zealand man jailed for raping Melbourne woman after failed bid to deport him

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-07/man-granted-visa-reprieve-sentenced-for-raping-melbourne-woman...

looks like deporting violent criminals isnt all that easy.

this guy is a perfect example.

Message 32 of 34
Latest reply

I can't help feeling that for years this guy has been  a violent crime looking for an opportunity  to happen.

He seems to have been screwed up in every possible way  and I suspect  Islamic extremism was just a handy outlet for his anger at the whole world. If he hadn't been a Muslim he'd have found some other 'cause' to justfy his actions.

Message 33 of 34
Latest reply

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

I can't help feeling that for years this guy has been  a violent crime looking for an opportunity  to happen.

He seems to have been screwed up in every possible way  and I suspect  Islamic extremism was just a handy outlet for his anger at the whole world. If he hadn't been a Muslim he'd have found some other 'cause' to justfy his actions.

You are quite possibly right & I see ISIS as the perfect platform for disaffected muslims, that is what is so dangerous about it. It gives them a feeling of power, 'belonging', and because it isn't a conventional army, a sense they can act alone & make a difference. Crystallises their thoughts and actions.

It's a very real threat though because moderate youths can get caught up in the excitement of it all. Youth is the time of idealism.

It doesn't take a lot to change society for the worse.

In 1940, only about 7% of Germans were nazis.

From what I can gather, this man was a Somalian, he had a history of violent crime, had a jail sentence of 5 years or more, was out on parole.

He should have been deported the day he got out of jail.

I am fairly sure most people in this country, including most migrants, would prefer to see any violent criminals deported, if possible.

Not just talking terrorists here-any violent foreign criminal-not matter what nationality, colour, religion.

Message 34 of 34
Latest reply