Building On Swiss Cheese

CLAIMS for compensation from property owners whose homes have tilted, cracked or sunk from mining subsidence in NSW have doubled over the past year.

As authorities poured concrete into the ground following two sinkholes opening south of Newcastle, environmentalists predicted more would open, with thousands of homes having been built over disused mines.

The homes, some of which were so badly damaged the board ended up buying them, had been part of an estate that had received special approval from the board to be built in the 1980s.

Click Here To View Entire Article

I'd like to know what town-planning board approved building over old mine shafts. What were they thinking?

It's not just happening in Australia either, according to recent news reports.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Building On Swiss Cheese

Love your heading, Icy. (I mean the title, but your hairdo can be included):smileyhappy:

From my experience, In the 80's when building homes or extensions to homes in those mine areas were considered for approval by a Council's Building Dept, the paperwork included a Certificate from the Mine Subsidence Board.  Similar to a Bush Fire compliance certificate.

As i understand, it was the Mine that sold the land for subdivision in the first place.  Making big money.  Approval given by its own Body for building the homes.  (On the premise that any future claims would be cheap to fix for little money.) Unethical  maybe.

DEB

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Building On Swiss Cheese

@lloydslights wrote:

Love your heading, Icy. (I mean the title, but your hairdo can be included):smileyhappy:

DEB

I nearly reported that as h&p, Deb Woman Very Happy

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Building On Swiss Cheese

Dodgy and/or inexperienced ( not qualified?) people employed in Councils that approve subdivision plans, building permits.
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Building On Swiss Cheese

@am*3 wrote:
Dodgy and/or inexperienced ( not qualified?) people employed in Councils that approve subdivision plans, building permits.

and palms crossed generously with silver?

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply