Cleaning Tips living in Newman WA Red Dirt

My daughter has moved to Newman, brand new house and everything is white including the tiled floor.

She has 3 children, 5,3 and 1 and is wondering how the heck she is going to keep the place clean.

I've never lived surrounded by red dirt and she was told by a friend there is nothing you can do, there must be something to make it easier, any tips? Much appreciated if you can help. Smiley Happy

Photobucket
Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Cleaning Tips living in Newman WA Red Dirt

My cousin lived in Newman for 5 years.

He said you just have to learn to live with the red dust or drive yourself mad trying to keep everything clean.

I lived in an area in Qld with red soil and after a really windy day everything would be covered in a film of red dust.

You do learn to live with it but it takes time...my mum used to spend hours cleaning whenever she came to visit and I didn't have the heart to tell her that it would be all red again within a week.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

Red dirt and water?.............NO

Rugs, cotton as Martini suggest so they are easily washable.

Train everyone to take their shoes of at the door before they come in.

Dust off anysurface that may have red dirt on it before wiping it down, red dirt makes such an awful mess mixed with water.

If the kids want to play in sand/dirt as kids do get them a sandbox with clean white sand.

A sard prewash stick with Eucalyptus helps getting out red dirt from clothing but may not get it all.

Polypropylene rugs, cheap but can be chucked when they get too gross.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks for that

Photobucket
Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

We lived in Kalgoorlie for 2 years with 5 kids- same problem,  and my only tip would be the same as Lynne's: learn to live with it.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply