Climate Change Warning

Sir David Attenborough issues this warning about climate change.

Stephen Hawking issued similar warnings before he died, except

he was a bit more specific about time frames.

It seems the destiny of civilization may be in the hands of many

world leaders who are too blind or too seduced by the power they

hold to respect Mother Nature.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/03/sir-david-attenborough-issues-dire-warning-climate-chang...

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Climate Change Warning

marwi_3023
Community Member
Very few clapped at the end of his speech.
Honestly none of them care.
They don't see any votes in it and while Trump can wind back any changes to combat it and deny it even exists and stay in power the rest will follow his lead
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Climate Change Warning

my view is, i honestly dont know if climate change is real

but

i look at it this way, if the scientists are wrong but we do everything we can to clean up our envioroment thats a good thing for the planet.

if the sceptics are wrong and we do nothing, and we keep poluting the planet, well we are screwed.

id rather the planet was a cleaner place for future generations. i wont be here to enjoy it but others will.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Climate Change Warning

I don't know that anyone denies climate change is real, as such. I think the sticking point for some is to what extent it is being caused by humans and to what extent we can change it. And I suppose to what extent it might change.

It is only about 40 years ago that scientists were warning of a global ice age.

Nothing stays the same, people just tend to think that way a bit because our lifetimes are so short.

But no matter how the climate is changing or what time line it is on, it wouldn't hurt to have a cleaner earth, as david said.

We've got increased numbers of people with allergies to all sorts of things & more kids than ever with anaphylaxis etc and I suspect chemicals & our way of life have a lot to answer for.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Climate Change Warning

i see all the stuff we put into the atmosphere, the smoke coming out of factories and power generators, out the back of cars trucks ect, cigarette smoke. it doesnt just vanish, it goes somewhere, you cant see it but we are all breathing it in, some more than others.

any wonder some of us feel sick a lot?

then theres what we let get into the water, both fresh and the sea.

its bad enough what i see flushed out to sea after every decent storm in australia. when i see countries like indonesia and india ect ect where they dont even treat sewrage before putting it into rivers or the sea!

its crazy.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Climate Change Warning

The planet's going down the toilet, thanks to homo 'sapiens'. Here's some more heartening news
https://www.wwf.org.uk/updates/landmark-report-shows-global-wildlife-populations-course-decline-67-c...
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Climate Change Warning

Sadly there has been so much misinformation and deliberate lies.  The fact is that the effect  of  burning fossil fuels on our climate has been known for a long time, over 100 years.  Climate science is incredibly complicated, most people do not have enough scientific education or attention span to be able to understand the complexity, and media always grabbed just tiny bit of the info given to them and ran with it, making up terms that they thougt peple might understand.  When you only talk about one bit it seems to be contradictory.  Climate scientists always talked about change, which will increase global temperatures, however the most noticeable change will be the increased frequency and severity of storms, heat waves and severity of winters especially in Europe and the USA.  There is a stream of water that comes from the Caribbean, goes up around East Coast of the USA warming the continent, and then going down between UK and Continental Europe also stabilising the weather.  However as this Gulf Stream is being affected by the climate change, it is expected that UK and Europe will suffer much colder winters.  That is where the "ice age" headlines came from.  And it is already happening.  Europe is getting snowfalls in areas that did not used to have them, they are also having  floods because all the snow melts in the same time, and the river that were regulated and dammed never had to cope with so much water in the past few hundred years.  Then the summers are getting hotter and dryer resulting in catastrophic forest  fires even in areas where this just did not happened in the past or at least not as severe.

People do not seem to be able to comprehend that the little bit we, humans, contribute matters. The best explanation I heard was a by an old climate scientist who said this:
"Imagine that you have a bath tub that is 99% full, there is a faucet that contributes 10litres of water every few minutes, and then there is a drain that drains off equivalent amount of water.  The system is in equilibrium.  Just as our climate has been for thousands of years.  Now imagine that somebody turns the tap so it is adding 12 litres every few minutes, but does nothing to the drain; the water starts rising, and unless something is done it will not take very long before it overflows." 

Unfortunately, once the CO2 "overflows" the damage to our environment is going to be irreversible, and will feed on itself.  Forest fires will released more CO2, then storms will wash the top  off, and will be hard to replant the areas, the rising sea temperature will kill many sea creatures, and fish.  i can see the effects of bushfires here in Australia; I recall fires in Blue Mountains (1968?) next year we went up and you could hardly see bit of black trunk here and there.  I lived through Ash Wednesday fires when we lived in Emerald (Dandenong Ranges).  The fire stopped about km from our property.  Few weeks later, after some good rain I drove through the area where many houses were lost and where people died, and it was all green again; sprouting from the blackness.  Then there were the Black Saturday fires.  Few years later (3 or more ?) we finally decided to go for a drive to Merrysville, where my daughter lived for a little while few years before the fires.  It was still all black, with just little shoots of green; the whole hills looked still dead.  I have not yet had the courage to go back to look.
Look at Queensland; its a tropical humid place, these sort of fires were unknown there before.  California used to have 5 months fire season, now it is more like 8, and the recent fires happened   in late autumn, that is like May or June in here, and burned with unprecedented  fury; they stopped talking about the dead at about 200 (?) and I wonder how many will never be found. 

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Climate Change Warning

Sadly,things are going to get worse in some parts of the world. The one that worries me most is the election of a far right president (Jair Bolsonaro) in Brazil. This guy's a nasty piece of work. I expect large tracts of the Amazon rainforest will be destroyed during this guy's tenure. Not to mention of the scaling back of the rights of the indigenous population.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/31/the-guardian-view-on-brazils-new-president-a-g...
Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Climate Change Warning

marwi_3023
Community Member
I don't reference anything from the seventies.
Yes I remember that scientists believed an ice age was going to be happening.
I also remember the oil crisis and how we would run out of oil very shortly.
I also remember that people honestly thought that the pyramids were built by aliens because there was no way humans could have.
Mostly I remember that talk of the planet heating due to carbon dioxide build up has been happening since the early eighties.
I also remember that the weather didn't change so rapidly from hot to cold and now it's going from hot to cold to hot to cold and hot to cold. The hot northerly wind days were only a few each year now they seem to be regular as clock work.
Maybe we have no affect on the climate but it would be better if we knew that we have no affect on the climate.
The whole world made a change for the ozone layer to stop being destroyed at the rate it was.
If we hadn't imagine how quickly you would get sunburnt.
I get sunburnt in minutes now back in the seventies it took all day.
My parents were nudists and we would spend all day in the sun with no sunscreen and get a bit burnt.
I've been sunburnt in minutes now.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Climate Change Warning

Signatures suck.
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply