Clover Moore Public Art What a waste of Money

nero_bolt
Community Member

Clover Moore What a waste of public Money and what a cuckoo she is

There are homeless and needy that the money could be better spent on, there are roads and all the usual council stuff that would benifit from this money but NO Clover wants to waste MILLIONS and turn Sydney into Cloud Cuckoo Land    

$9 MILLION for what

If you havent seen the pictures go to this link and have a look at the waste of money. 

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/clovers-vision-is-just-plain-eiffel-her-crazy-9m-vision-tu...

Clover’s vision is just plain Eiffel: her crazy $9m vision turns Sydney into a Cloud Cuckoo Land

ARTISTS will be paid millions under Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore’s weird public sculpture splurge, with birds on poles set to be dotted around the city and a giant plastic milk crate set near Central Station.

City of Sydney is splashing $9 million on three controversial artworks, with Australia’s talented array of home-grown and indigenous artists mostly snubbed during its short-list process. Of the 10 proposals that made the final shortlist, only one is Australian-born.

In a rare interview on 2GB yesterday, Ms Moore defended the artworks, comparing them to one of the world’s most recognisable structures — the 324m-tall Eiffel Tower.

“Great art around the world can really put a city on the map — you only have to think of the Eiffel Tower in Paris as an example and you only have to think of our own Opera House,” she said.

Japanese artist Junya Ishigami is being paid $2.5 million for his $3.5 million steel Cloud Arch sculpture, which will soar up to 75m into the air near Town Hall and form a gateway into George St.

British artist Tracey Emin, famous for an installation of a messy bed, will get $913,000 for her $2.1 million sculptures of bronze birds, which will be dotted about doorways, awnings and on poles in the CBD’s north.

And Egyptian-born, Sydney-based Hany Armanious is being paid $1.7 million for his $2.5 million fibreglass “milk crate’’ sculpture at Belmore Park.

The 13.7m dark blue milk crate, officially called Pavilion, will also be potentially environmentally unfriendly, with federal government documents showing that manufacturing fibreglass gives off a raft of pollutants.

ART? SORRY, IT'S JUST SPACE NOODLES, A BIG MILK CRATE AND SOME STUPID BRONZE BIRDS 

Tim Blair Opinion

FOR most people, finding $9.3 million to fund a bunch of ridiculous artists and their absurd and indulgent creations would be something of a challenge.

Not for Lord Mayor Clover Moore and Sydney City Council who have access to that cash thanks to inner-city ratepayers, many of whom might be wondering now why they didn’t make a greater effort to vote Moore out.

Here’s a tougher challenge for Moore. In 2017, when Space Noodle, Big Milk Crate and Stupid Bronze Birds are installed, find someone who will say their visit to Sydney was inspired by this alleged art.

Full story here http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/clovers-vision-is-just-plain-eiffel-her-crazy-9m-vision-tu...  

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dire need? Why is Sydney in Dire Need of public art? Will it collapse in a heap without it? Their is much Sydney is in Dire Need of, like an improved public transport system and roads, for instance. I would rate Sydney's current level of public art quite sufficient. If more public art is required, let people like James Packer and the developers making a fortune out our crumbling building sites donate it in gratitude, not squeeze it out of the public purse thank you very much

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

the milk crate is retarded and I dont like the stupid cloud thingy either. huge waste of money as 'art' often is.

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

showing that manufacturing fibreglass gives off a raft of pollutants.

I wonder how many boat manufacturing companies are located in OZ?

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

I think it is beautiful.  What would you want?  Nothing interesting, just boxes of buildings, trashy advertisements arou our cities?  I bet you also hate the Sydney opera house and any other imaginative architecture or art that was controversial in their time.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

Will we ever be rid of this woman, this panderer? Getting her off the upper house was a good start.

Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

@lightningdance wrote:

Will we ever be rid of this woman, this panderer? Getting her off the upper house was a good start.

Agree LD. Now that the business people of Sydney city will be made to vote in the next election I suspect Clover and her business destroying and road congesting bike lanes and all her other crazy ideas will be gone. 

It will be a day of great celebration when she is turred out of office.......

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

She's an absolute Drongo. Latest I heard, she wanted to move the bus lanes in Oxford Street to the middle of the road to minimise the noise for outdoor cafes and restaurants.
Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

"think it is beautiful. What would you want? Nothing interesting, just boxes of buildings, trashy advertisements arou our cities? I bet you also hate the Sydney opera house and any other imaginative architecture or art that was controversial in their time." Funny that. I would have bet you'd hate the Sydney Opera house and other imaginatime architecture if you think that milk crate sculpture beautiful.
Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:
"think it is beautiful. What would you want? Nothing interesting, just boxes of buildings, trashy advertisements arou our cities? I bet you also hate the Sydney opera house and any other imaginative architecture or art that was controversial in their time." Funny that. I would have bet you'd hate the Sydney Opera house and other imaginatime architecture if you think that milk crate sculpture beautiful.

I think what we are subject to on here everyday is politicking and mindless disagreement of anything certain posters want to discuss.

As for art?? well I am an art lover, a lifes passion for me so just about any art is beautiful to my eyes but this is a slap in the face for most hard working NSW people, they have been brutalised for years by Labor and Moore.

Moore has no regard for anything or anybody outside of her inner city clique. I'm sure thousands of NSW people will happily sing ding dong the witch is dead when she is ousted.

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

I love public art. It identifies a city. Melbourne is a good example of this.

And Sydney is in dire need of more public art.

People always complain about the art when the work is in proposal stage and then they decide that they love it when it is actually in place.

And then again, there are some that are negative about everything in life...

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply