Coles online

I ordered the other night with a 6pm to 9pm window. 

Allowing me to get to a Chrissy Do afterwards    

It came at 10.30pm

So no   Chrissy do.

I rang them 5 times and each time it takes  nearly  3   mins  to get to an operator after you've  listened to ads and they rejected my order no (even though it  was correct)  so i had to keep keying it in .....then i wd be cut off. 

No good reasons given. 

I don't want to ever use them again and wondering how Woolies compares if 

anyone has used them.   

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Coles online

I use both supermarkets for online deliveries.

Re Coles, did you ask the driver why there was such a long delay?  They aren't usually that bad in my area.  On the contrary.  Only one delivery recently was outside the window (very late but fortunately I'd booked an earlier time than you).  The driver was a regular and he told me up front that a van had broken down and he had to take up some of that van's deliveries.

Re calling customer service.  That's a bit more hit and miss.  I have found if I hesitate for a second when keying in the order number I have to start again. (groan)  I now re-write it on the order page in big numbers, split into blocks to make them easier to check as I key them into the phone.

Re Woolies, I've found time shifts on deliveries with them as well.  Their deliveries were outsourced to Linfox.  The cost of delivery is determined by how much you spend on groceries.  The more you spend the more your delivery cost comes down. They also have a Delivery saver system with an upfront fee which is supposed to save money if you order from them a lot and at certain days (I think).  For the amount of money I spend on groceries my $10 delivery at Coles is a $12 delivery at Woolies.

Note that a bagless delivery at Coles is free - at Woolies it will cost you an extra $2.00.  Both charge $1 per order if you want bags.

Woolies has a feature that Coles doesn't have (but should have!)  You can add notes to your order per item if you want Woolies to pick substitutions or specifically want something with a long expiry date etc.

I've been ordering groceries online for some years now.  I've only recently discovered that a local IGA, while not having a set order online and delivery system like Coles and Woolies, will deliver on an ad hoc basis (staff permitting I presume) for a minimum delivery order and a fee.  I had no idea. 🙂

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Coles online

I've been buying online Woolies groceries for about 2 years.

I'm in Melbourne.   Wednesday is free delivery as long as you spend $50 (?)

They also have an express delivery thingie with an immediate 2 hour delivery.

Up to 30 items, but it costs $19 delivery.

I used to use the delivery saver and it worked out to about $3 week from memory,

but that was for only one delivery per week.

You can have as many deliveries as you want with the saver.

You get charged $1 per order for plastic bags, but if you give them back to the driver  next week, that's refunded to your payment source.

Only ever had an order outside the requested time and it was only ½ hr late.

They sometimes keep moving the time every ½ hour for a couple of hours though.

As for contact, they have a 'contact us' button and you can have a live chat.

They know your account and order number so you don't have to key it in.

BTW it's free delivery for your first shop

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Coles online

not hard to spend $50

i remember when mom would do shopping for a family 7 for less than that, gee havent times changed.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Coles online

@davidc4430 wrote:

not hard to spend $50

i remember when mom would do shopping for a family 7 for less than that, gee havent times changed.

Yes - especially when I include the cat's favourite foods and her kitty litter and tray liners. 🙂

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Coles online

@imastawka wrote:

I've been buying online Woolies groceries for about 2 years.

I'm in Melbourne.   Wednesday is free delivery as long as you spend $50 (?)

They also have an express delivery thingie with an immediate 2 hour delivery.

Up to 30 items, but it costs $19 delivery.

I used to use the delivery saver and it worked out to about $3 week from memory,

but that was for only one delivery per week.

You can have as many deliveries as you want with the saver.

You get charged $1 per order for plastic bags, but if you give them back to the driver  next week, that's refunded to your payment source.

Only ever had an order outside the requested time and it was only ½ hr late.

They sometimes keep moving the time every ½ hour for a couple of hours though.

As for contact, they have a 'contact us' button and you can have a live chat.

They know your account and order number so you don't have to key it in.

BTW it's free delivery for your first shop

Now that sounds good enogh reason to switch.  Is their Live Chat voice or a typed sort of thing?  Not that it matters if it works.

I'm not one to make complaints usually but when i asked the delivery guy why he couldn't have rung me to give an ETA he said he was on a very strict deadline and given too many jobs to fulfill on time.  He looked abslutely  beat. and I felt sorry for him .
Not his fault but the poor policy of Coles.
That annoying girl in the ad who screeches about Down Down can go screech somewhere else. .      😞     

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Coles online

Sorry Bright, been busy.

It's a typed thing, the live chat.   And you get to keep a copy.

Re delivery person (sometimes I get a woman), I asked why they kept changing the time,

and it got later and later, he said he didn't know.

He said he came straight from the store, so the problem is their end.  He says they have

GPS tracking, so they should be able to say exactly when the delivery is due.

One time it came ½ hr early, lol.   I didn't complain about that one.

I have complained about their packers though.  They must still live at home and mum does the shopping.

They pack things like tomatoes in with 2 litres of milk.  Or bread in with cans.

Rarely they forget to pack something, but I do get out of stock notifications occasionally.

I like the feature to leave a note for the packer.  ie - asking for longest use by date.

or....wait for it......I ask for my capsicums to have 4 bumps on the bottom  hahahaha

And they give 'em to me with 4 bumps  hahahahaha

Try one shop to see.   First one's free as long as you spend $100

Have a walk around the site first.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/discover/shopping-online

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Coles online

And another thing....

Of course there are some items you can only get at Coles and some only at Woolies.  That's why I shop online at both.  I do most of my shopping at Coles as they have some items I like on sale more often than Woolies does so I save more, plus my cat's favourite canned food is only sold at Coles.

This Christmas I like Coles luxury plum pudding and their new roulades range, and I wanted to get their exclusive Lindt tin of chocolates as a gift.  So I placed an order at Coles.

However, I also wanted to get the Darrell Lea Nougat Puddings which meant an order from Woolies.  I compared prices for my regular purchases and where they were cheaper at Woolies I added them to the order.  That also meant I didn't need to buy them at my next Coles spend.

I'm happy to play them off against each other.  It might seem a lot of bother but I've been grocery shopping online for at least 10 years so it's a cinch to do.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Coles online

Ah some very  wise and helpful  advice here from my learned friends.   🙂     Stawks I really like the idea of the Live Chat.  with Woollies so I don't have to go through all that phone carp like with Coles.  ..

I'll check them out and try   them next time.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Coles online

a943e6c7dcdffbf0616dc867776fdf3b.jpg

It's the attention to detail that makes a home delivery service really stand out... ha ha.

🙂

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply