Compulsory military service Whaddya reckon?

nero_bolt
Community Member

She is an A grade bucket mouth and  nutter BUT does this idea of hers hold merit

Is it a  good idea or not

Me i like the idea

Lots of benefits would come from it and it would help a lot of unemployed youth get some experience, some training and even some pride in themselves

1502479_751810058187553_7264043970347589915_n.png

Message 1 of 108
Latest reply
107 REPLIES 107

Are you prepared to pay a lot more tax to fund it?

I doubt that many would.

Message 2 of 108
Latest reply

1)I rather suspect the military wouldn't be too thrilled about it.

2) I can see the merit in all young people doing a stint of community service of some kind, but sticking people in the army simply because they are unemployed is simplistic in the extreme.

a) If it's supposed to "get them off their backsides"  and give them discipline and incentive, then how would you distinguish between those who can't get a job and those who won't get a job.

b) What makes Jacqui Lambie - or anyone for that matter - assume that one size fits all and  everyone who is unemployed for whatever reason would benefit from that particular form of  of training?

Message 3 of 108
Latest reply

Compulsory IQ tests for senators more like it.

Message 4 of 108
Latest reply

Ridiculous idea - Especially the Compulsory part. It is just a dumb idea (nothing new) that pops up from time to time.. "give them a good haircut, stick them in the Army, that'll fix 'em"

I hope Jacquie Lambie or anyone else doesn't think it is an original idea of hers.

1. The Armed Forces is not a place to dump the unemployed in.

2. Putting people who don't want to be in the Armed Forces in the Armed Forces isn't going to work. 

3. Trained members of the Armed Forces are not employed to look after unemployed people who don't want to be there.

A period of voluntary service might be OK. They could learn some new skills and those who complete the training period & enjoy it and have the right attitude could apply to join the Regular Forces.

Message 5 of 108
Latest reply

Oh yes, sure. Let's let every unemployed person enlist in the Army. Here's a lad who has had a difference of opinion with another. He's also a bit toey because he's been used to having a good old booze up every day or is a regular user of recreational drugs. Neither of which he's been able to have during training. He really wants to 'sock it' to this other guy who has been annoying him the past few weeks.

3 weeks into basic training they give him a rifle, and the ammo for it!

What's to stop him from going crazy and shooting at his nemesis?

There is a reason that the Army carefully screen those who want to enlist.

To be forced to sign up unemployed people who are not stable mentally is a diasaster waiting to happen.

photo GRUMPYCATSIGN_zpsa8f18bba.jpg
Message 6 of 108
Latest reply

No, Am3 summed up my thoughts on the matter

Message 7 of 108
Latest reply

It doesn't appear that 10+ years in the army has done much for Lambie's smarts, or was she always a nutter?
Message 8 of 108
Latest reply

Didn't progress very far rank wise in over 10 years.

Lambie enlisted in the Australian Army in 1989, where she served for over ten years, first in the transport corps, and subsequently as a military police officer. She achieved the rank of corporal.

During a field exercise in July 1997 she suffered injuries that resulted in severe back pain. After physical therapy and medical interventions, she was unable to regain operational fitness and was discharged for medical reasons (thoracic pain) in 2000.

Message 9 of 108
Latest reply

Definitely not!

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 10 of 108
Latest reply