Coronavirus update

Coronavirus update: Formula One Grand Prix called off, Trump announces travel ban, Tom Hanks tests positive

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-12/coronavirus-live-updates-mclaren-lewis-hamilton-travel-ban/12...

Message 1 of 3,689
Latest reply
3,688 REPLIES 3,688

Re: Coronavirus update

As I pointed out earlier, we can't trust everything we read. A lot of what's being reported is alarmist and not factual. A lot of young people exist on junk food anyway, especially a lot who are away from home at uni. They think they're healthy but they just haven't been diagnosed with anything yet. Then there's all the refugees in Europe, including the ones still in large camps. A lot of them wouldn't have had access to adequate nutrition. There are too many variables that nobody is bothering to mention so numbers and statistics don't mean a lot.

The bottom line is that everyone needs to be sensible and only go out when necessary. From what I'm reading in facebook groups a lot are already doing this. I'm sure a lot of others will take it more seriously soon enough. There are still public gatherings being advertised and I'm sure they're expecting more than 100 people so I just don't get some people. Someone was advertising one on fb for tomorrow and Saturday - a flower exhibition but also fruit & vegetables, which means they must be expecting quite a few exhibitors. It was in Moss Vale and was their annual show.  Maybe the person who mentioned it just isn't aware of whether or not it's been cancelled.

Message 221 of 3,689
Latest reply

Coronavirus stimulus package must be delivered fast and at scale to help business and households

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-19/coronavirus-stimulus-package-save-households-not-cheap/120675...

Message 222 of 3,689
Latest reply

The hoarding has reached NZ

I only go to the super market about once a month, usually just top up at the local 4square.

EMPTY selves, no loo paper or paper towels, tissues.

Even pasta sauce self nearly empty

Heaps of Wine and Beer, Coke self was nearly empty

Message 223 of 3,689
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

As I pointed out earlier, we can't trust everything we read. A lot of what's being reported is alarmist and not factual. A lot of young people exist on junk food anyway, especially a lot who are away from home at uni. They think they're healthy but they just haven't been diagnosed with anything yet. Then there's all the refugees in Europe, including the ones still in large camps. A lot of them wouldn't have had access to adequate nutrition. There are too many variables that nobody is bothering to mention so numbers and statistics don't mean a lot.

The bottom line is that everyone needs to be sensible and only go out when necessary. From what I'm reading in facebook groups a lot are already doing this. I'm sure a lot of others will take it more seriously soon enough. There are still public gatherings being advertised and I'm sure they're expecting more than 100 people so I just don't get some people. Someone was advertising one on fb for tomorrow and Saturday - a flower exhibition but also fruit & vegetables, which means they must be expecting quite a few exhibitors. It was in Moss Vale and was their annual show.  Maybe the person who mentioned it just isn't aware of whether or not it's been cancelled.

If you had been to a UNI - lately - looked around - some of the healthiest food going.

Culturally diverse - nothing unhealthy about a salad - a kebab - Indian.

Rocks.

Message 224 of 3,689
Latest reply

Musings from possibly an alternate universe : 

This afternoon dunny paper ( despite rationing) and now potatoes , at least in part seems strongly a veiled statement of consternation regarding the virus crisis or the issues behind the handling of the crisis that has interrupted cosy lifestyle or powers in waiting , by those who expected no mitigating action , even no disclosure of a new flu like virus - just a quiet removal of " boomer" age people through seasonal respiratory complications 

No shortage of cigs and booze - go figure 

Message 225 of 3,689
Latest reply

@rogespeed wrote:

This afternoon dunny paper ( despite rationing) and now potatoes , at least in part seems strongly a veiled statement of consternation regarding the virus crisis or the issues behind the handling of the crisis that has interrupted cosy lifestyle or powers in waiting , by those who expected no mitigating action , even no disclosure of a new flu like virus - just a quiet removal of " boomer" age people through seasonal respiratory complications 

I can't comment on your first sentence because it was above my head. But I think it is likely that there is no shortage of cigs and booze because some people have gone broke through stocking up on toilet paper, potatoes etc. Ironically however, I did my shopping at Woolworths on Tuesday and their BWS store had cartons and cartons of Corona Beer out front to get people's attention. Didn't look like they were selling too many! And that's a good thing IMO. Maybe it will turn out that a lot of people with end up with immaculately clean bums, and healthier lungs and brains.

Message 226 of 3,689
Latest reply

@rogespeed wrote:

You got that bit right.

Message 227 of 3,689
Latest reply

@rogespeed wrote:

Yeah I get what you're saying. No closing down of pokies in hotels or clubs, either, as of yesterday.

Message 228 of 3,689
Latest reply

Two Adelaide hospitals to be reopened as state readies for more coronavirus cases

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-19/two-adelaide-hospitals-to-be-reopened-for-coronavirus-patient...

how many staff will be needed to operate 2 hospitals and where will they come from?

we arnt talking a handful here we are talking 3 shifts is my guess as they have to be 24hr places

then there is all the equipment, wheres that coming from?

Message 229 of 3,689
Latest reply

@rogespeed wrote:

OK then - I don't consider myself lacking - but the only bit I got was - the cigs & booze.

Go figure.

Message 230 of 3,689
Latest reply