Crafts

I have been asked to set up a craft group at the local church it is mainly for older people.  I am looking for ideas of what sorts of crafts that would be suitable,  We would have access to machines of any type. 

So far we have thought of Knitting, crochering, scrapbooking and patchworking.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Crafts

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Can you put up a notice about the group and ask if anyone is interested and what crafts they would like to see included in the group?

Have you thought of jewellery making?

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Crafts

Jewellry making is a good idea,  That the moment when we decuss the group people are asking what sort of crafts we are going to be doing.  I intend asking those that turn up what their skills are and what they are interested in learning.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Crafts

What a wonderful thing to be involved in and help set up, well done xx

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Crafts

gleee58
Community Member

@grandmoon wrote:

I have been asked to set up a craft group at the local church it is mainly for older people.  I am looking for ideas of what sorts of crafts that would be suitable,  We would have access to machines of any type. 

So far we have thought of Knitting, crochering, scrapbooking and patchworking.

The first step would be to ask the people attending what they are not interested in doing.

I found that some old people don't want to knit, crochet or sew as they can't do it to the standard they could years ago and that gets them down.   

For all the activities mentioned they would need good eye sight and fine motor skills, which are sometimes on the decline in the elderly.   I found group activities good as we could utilise the skills people had to suit the activity.  

For example while making cards one group (or individual) can write the inner verse, another can cut things out to decorate the outer while another can stick decor on or sketch designs.   We also used to collect the ice cream containers from takeaway shops to make bins out of by either covering with paper and collage or paint.   Even those who were no longer able to contribute actively felt included just by being at the table with the group.  

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Crafts

Gleee58  I agree  The church is in an older area with quite a lot of Aged Person Units around, and I find that there are a large number of lonely people (mainly women).  We are hoping that at some stage we will incourage some of the younger women to come and the older one can teach the young on some of the skills thay have.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Crafts

There's a new knitting collection in the newsagents out now.

I've grabbed the really cheap 1st issue (twice).

Of course the later issues will be more expensive, but so what.

I haven't subscribed because I don't like the free gifts anyway.

And, I find it torturous to see the subsequent issues out in the shop before I've received the subscription one in the mail.

It looks good, although the set seems to be 26 issues duration which allows for about 27 learning squares to be knitted which doesn't match the picture of the blanket you are supposed to end up with from the wool included, which has 81 squares in it.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Crafts

@grandmoon wrote:

Gleee58  I agree  The church is in an older area with quite a lot of Aged Person Units around, and I find that there are a large number of lonely people (mainly women).  We are hoping that at some stage we will incourage some of the younger women to come and the older one can teach the young on some of the skills thay have.

or the young and old can learn together.  😄

It might pay to start with a morning/afternoon tea group to discuss ideas.  I found the oldies I worked with enjoyed our oddball activities because we did things they had not done before.   

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Crafts

There is alot of crafts that older people can do, jewellery making, card making, scrapbooking, knitting etc.........doing a craft has a positive outcome as it gives them something to do and a good feeling when they accomplish something.

My daughter is a nurse in a aged care hospital and she says those that are able to do crafts really enjoy it & gives them a sense of purpose.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Crafts

What a wonderful creative idea!! Good on you.Heart

What about

*painting

*drawing

*sculpting using air dry clay- this can be really therapeutic for the hands, and then they can paint the result..(you can make anything from beads for necklaces, plates for their morning tea to sculptured heads!) 

*communal knitting, where they join their efforts together- like knitting/crocheting squares for blankets and enjoy the end result as a group- then the focus is on achieving the blanket instead of how well the individual knits or crochets

*weaving- they could also make smallish squares and sew them together to make larger blankets.The loom can be one you sit on your lap

*exchanging cuttings from their garden- plants are a really wonderful way of nourishing the soul and they could grow something to eat

*a longer/ larger project could be making a book of their favourite recipes- including their tips and drawings of the ingredients..I hate the thought that the really useful ideas might disappear when they pass away..

*I think a longer more ambitious project is really wonderful for people who are older, and may be feeling isolated- it would give them something to focus on and share..

maybe the church or the local council could offer some $$ for materials?

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply