Dishonest Union Ads in NSW Election.

ladydeburg
Community Member

I have been watching for a few weeks now and was deeply concerned that the ads  being run by unions is completely dishonest. Is it legal to do this? I asked a political scientist and he said that the ads being run by unions NSW were bordering on the worst advertising he had ever seen in an election.

I was relieved when I saw the interview on channel 9 last night and Luke Foley trying to explain away the unions campaign.   was disturbed that Luke Foley saw nothing wrong in the campaign being run by unions NSW, the union that is bankrolling the Labor campaign.

All I can say is thank goodness somebody finally shone a light on it.  

http://www.9news.com.au/sitecore/content/news/news/national/2015/03/03/19/48/luke-foley-tells-peter-...

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Dishonest Union Ads in NSW Election.

@ladydeburg wrote:

I have been watching for a few weeks now and was deeply concerned that the ads  being run by unions is completely dishonest. Is it legal to do this? I asked a political scientist and he said that the ads being run by unions NSW were bordering on the worst advertising he had ever seen in an election.

I was relieved when I saw the interview on channel 9 last night and Luke Foley trying to explain away the unions campaign.   was disturbed that Luke Foley saw nothing wrong in the campaign being run by unions NSW, the union that is bankrolling the Labor campaign.

http://www.9news.com.au/sitecore/content/news/news/national/2015/03/03/19/48/luke-foley-tells-peter-...

It's all part of the cut and thrust of politics. Politics in Australia is just like a shark tank. I was listening to an opinion about the truthfullness of the union ads and the AEC says that until the NSW election campaign enters a certain period (so many days before polling day) the ads are OK. Once a certain deadline arrives the ads must convey the truth.

Don't forget this about Luke Foley: Between 1996 and 2000 he was a union organiser with the NSW branch of the Australian Services Union and became Secretary of that branch between 2000 and 2003. (Foley's Wikipedia).  So, Luke Foley = Union Friendship Society and Union Friendship Society = Luke Foley.

Message 31 of 43
Latest reply

@saveonlineshopping wrote:

Oh Please! The wealthy elite of this country pay embarassingly small proportions of tax compared to the rest of us (for what they make). 

Same goes for the multinationals who are happy to set up shop here and hire teenagers on minimum wage, but don't pay more than 1% tax. 

If we closed the tax loopholes that the wealthy take advantage of, we would be in surplus overnight.

You might want to have a read of this. And she uses an example of a family on $85,000 a year with two adult kids at uni

and paying no tax at all on the profits.

Trust me - this is how the rich get richer

It's all about minimising your tax bill. Here's how you can do it, too.

http://www.smh.com.au/money/planning/trust-me--this-is-how-the-rich-get-richer-20150303-13pq3a.html

Message 32 of 43
Latest reply

@village_person wrote:

@ladydeburg wrote:

It's all part of the cut and thrust of politics. Politics in Australia is just like a shark tank. I was listening to an opinion about the truthfullness of the union ads and the AEC says that until the NSW election campaign enters a certain period (so many days before polling day) the ads are OK. Once a certain deadline arrives the ads must convey the truth.

Don't forget this about Luke Foley: Between 1996 and 2000 he was a union organiser with the NSW branch of the Australian Services Union and became Secretary of that branch between 2000 and 2003. (Foley's Wikipedia).  So, Luke Foley = Union Friendship Society and Union Friendship Society = Luke Foley.

Thanks you for your timely research. I didn't know that unions could say anything they liked before a certain cut off time in an election campaign. All I know is the campaign they had been running was patently dishonest, riddled with lies and  scare mongering. I also believe they are being investigated for push polling.

Message 33 of 43
Latest reply

that would apply to political parties as well I'd imagine, not just unions

Message 34 of 43
Latest reply

@ladydeburg wrote:

Thanks you for your timely research. I didn't know that unions could say anything they liked before a certain cut off time in an election campaign. All I know is the campaign they had been running was patently dishonest, riddled with lies and  scare mongering. I also believe they are being investigated for push polling.

Honestly you have to seriously wonder some times at how people can write things on here with a straight face.

The cut off time applies to ALL advertising.

And as I asked before: What lies? What is dishonest? And what is scare mongering? What specific thing is untrue exactly? And what has it all to do with the ABC? You still haven't explained and yet you continue to repeat the same mantra.

And there is absolutely no truth in the accustaion that any union is currently being investigated for push polling. What utter rubbish. In fact the only accusations of push polling currently before the courts relate to 2 Liberal pollsters.

Message 35 of 43
Latest reply

ladydeburg
Community Member

Those ads are still running they were on last night.

Message 36 of 43
Latest reply

@ladydeburg wrote:

I did a bit more research following the info I got via the Ross Greenwood radio show. I didn't write anything down as I was walking my dog. He said something like tha AEC was not interested in false or misleading advertising unless it involved misleading ballot papers etc.

50. This means that the AEC has no role or responsibility in handling complaints about allegedly untrue statements in published or broadcast electoral advertisements that are intended to influence the judgment of voters about who they should vote for. Complaints that do fall within the scope of subsection 329(1) are those that relate to electoral publications, broadcasts, internet or telephone messages that are likely to mislead or deceive an elector in relation to the way the ballot paper is marked.

51. In coming to its conclusion in Evans v Crichton Browne, the High Court indicated that it will be reluctant to find that the offence provisions of the Act infringe on conduct that is more appropriately covered by the political process:

But even if the paragraph were thought to apply only to those statements affecting a voter's choice of candidate which appear to be statements of fact, that construction would require an election campaign to be conducted in anticipation of proceedings brought to test the truth or correctness of any statement made in the campaign. Indeed any person who published an electoral advertisement containing an incorrect statement of fact might be exposed to criminal proceedings. In a campaign ranging over a wide variety of matters, many of the issues canvassed are likely to be unsuited to resolution in legal proceedings, and a court should not attribute to the Parliament an intention to expose election issues to the potential requirement of legal proof in the absence of clear words.

http://www.aec.gov.au/About_AEC/Publications/backgrounders/electoral-advertising.htm

A lot of blather is associated with the matter of advertising but the AEC has limited interest in what is misleading material relating to election material.

Message 37 of 43
Latest reply

@village_person wrote:

@ladydeburg wrote:

I did a bit more research following the info I got via the Ross Greenwood radio show. I didn't write anything down as I was walking my dog. He said something like tha AEC was not interested in false or misleading advertising unless it involved misleading ballot papers etc.

50. This means that the AEC has no role or responsibility in handling complaints about allegedly untrue statements in published or broadcast electoral advertisements that are intended to influence the judgment of voters about who they should vote for. Complaints that do fall within the scope of subsection 329(1) are those that relate to electoral publications, broadcasts, internet or telephone messages that are likely to mislead or deceive an elector in relation to the way the ballot paper is marked.

51. In coming to its conclusion in Evans v Crichton Browne, the High Court indicated that it will be reluctant to find that the offence provisions of the Act infringe on conduct that is more appropriately covered by the political process:

But even if the paragraph were thought to apply only to those statements affecting a voter's choice of candidate which appear to be statements of fact, that construction would require an election campaign to be conducted in anticipation of proceedings brought to test the truth or correctness of any statement made in the campaign. Indeed any person who published an electoral advertisement containing an incorrect statement of fact might be exposed to criminal proceedings. In a campaign ranging over a wide variety of matters, many of the issues canvassed are likely to be unsuited to resolution in legal proceedings, and a court should not attribute to the Parliament an intention to expose election issues to the potential requirement of legal proof in the absence of clear words.

http://www.aec.gov.au/About_AEC/Publications/backgrounders/electoral-advertising.htm

A lot of blather is associated with the matter of advertising but the AEC has limited interest in what is misleading material relating to election material.

Thanks for your further research. A lot of legalese designed to make one lose the will to live before finishing reading it let alone comprehending it.

It's worrying if they don't care or can't be bothered investigating blatant lies in political campaign advertising. I wonder if this apathy includes lying on food packages or any other lies on anything at all?

Message 38 of 43
Latest reply

Again and again you are asked and can't seem to answer athe simplest of questions:

WHAT LIES?

Message 39 of 43
Latest reply

ladydeburg
Community Member