Do You Remember

When the supermarkets specials had a limit on how many you could buy ??

Message 1 of 61
Latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: Do You Remember

@dwilke33 wrote:

@imastawka wrote:

I remember when they were called grocers

and you wrote your list, gave it to them, sat down,

ate the broken bikkies from the bottom of the tin,

and waited for them to do your shopping for you.

Goodness, I've not experienced most of what you all have posted....but, I wish I had with some.

Only time I've heard of someone at the grocery store picking out your groceries is if you are a 'shut in' and need help with your grocery shopping.  I can't imagine going to the store and sitting down and waiting for someone else to choose your groceries for you. 

I think I'm way too picky to be happy with that. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Wasn't as much choice as there is now, so being picky wouldn't have mattered.

If you wanted bread or milk you got bread or milk, you didn't have 3 million types to choose from LOL

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 51 of 61
Latest reply

And the bread wasn't sliced, either.  And you could buy a 1/2 loaf.

Edited:  Love that milk advert on TV where the shopkeeper reels off all the types of milk.

DEB

Message 52 of 61
Latest reply

I remember being sent to the shop to get a loaf of bread and eating the bread on the way home, luckily the shop wasn't too far from home so the was some bread left when I got home.

Message 53 of 61
Latest reply

dwilke33 wrote:              

Goodness, I've not experienced most of what you all have posted....but, I wish I had with some.

Only time I've heard of someone at the grocery store picking out your groceries is if you are a 'shut in' and need help with your grocery shopping.  I can't imagine going to the store and sitting down and waiting for someone else to choose your groceries for you. 

I think I'm way too picky to be happy with that. ๐Ÿ˜ž

In those times there was nothing to be "picky" about.  There was (in the main) only one choice of everything.

The groceries were behind the counter and/or only available for the shop assistant to access.

Sorry, Greencat, hadn't read your post.

Message 54 of 61
Latest reply

WOW, this thread has just bought back so manty memories , oh the good old days. i remember when i was a child i collected the old glass tarax soft drink bottles and then took them to my local milk bar and exchanged them for 20c each. It still amazes me today how much you could get for your money back then. for example you could have bought 5 peters icy poles for 50c today you cant buy 1 for that. 

Message 55 of 61
Latest reply

" . . . .And olive oil was only available at the chemist."

And my parents would pour it into my ear/s

I never knew we could eat it or cook with it until much, much later.

I led a sheltered life, it seems.

I remember when a telephone call cost fourpence. four pennies, and I had to walk to the nearest  public telephone phone booth to make the call.

but then, we had it tough in those days. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I remember when our local general store owner complained to my parents that for weeks he had been selling packets of cashew nuts to the schoolkids after school for sixpence a packet, having mistakenly charged them the price of a bag of salted peanuts . . . and not one of them told him of his mistake.

Message 56 of 61
Latest reply

Returned drink bottles were stored out the back of the shop.  And the not-so-honest kids used to retrieve them, walk around to the front of the shop and ask for a refund. Again. And again.  Until the shopkeeper had to find a spot in the store.  And then the ants cameSmiley Very Happy

The earliest prices I remember:  twopenny phone call, 3d iceblock, 5d paddlepop, choc/licorice bullets 8 for 1d, cobbers 2d, watermelon and spuds 1d a pound.

DEB

Message 57 of 61
Latest reply

I remember when the teacher had to stop bashing me with her yard ruler because she had just received a new metre ruler to bash me with
Message 58 of 61
Latest reply

ah the good old days lol

I remember when I worked at the supermarket while I was at school, before there were scanners and EFT's, having to punch in all the numbers and actually count out the change, I am sure we were better at maths those days....and spending hours using a pricing gun putting prices on everything.  and we had someone to pack for us and take things to the car for people, I am sure customer service was better in those days as well.

Message 59 of 61
Latest reply

@lloydslights wrote:

.......when waiting in the supermarket queue for someone to write out a cheque to pay for their items.

DEB

Now we have to wait while people bleep around with credit/debit cards.

Message 60 of 61
Latest reply