Do you believe certain crimes should be catagorized as hate crimes

lealta
Community Member

Last week in the Philadephia, (the city of brotherly love) approximately 12 individuals severely beat two gay individuals who were minding their own business.  They were hurt so badly, that when the police arrived, they thought there had been a shooting because there was so much blood.  They were walking down the street, minding their own business when one of them was asked if the other was his boyfriend.  He answered yes, and then the pummeling began.

After video showing the perpetrators was released by the police department in hopes of helping identify them, it was only a matter of time before they were identified.  It turns out, that one of the men who participated in the beating, was an assistant coach in a Catholic high school and several of the others, were former students of this high school.  I guess this doesn't speak too highly of their Christian upbringing, that they would think it's okay to beat the carp out of a couple of gay men.

It appears that our federal government has been asked to prosecute these individuals based on federal hate crime laws that were inacted in the aftermath of the beating and murder of Matthew Shepard several years ago.  Although there are hate-crime laws in Philadelphia, gay individuals are not included in the criteria for hate crimes.

Do you think there should be hate-crime laws or should people only be charged with regular crimes when they break the law, for no other reason than their hatred of certain groups of people?

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Do you think there should be hate-crime laws or should people only be charged with regular crimes when they break the law, for no other reason than their hatred of certain groups of people?

Which ever one comes with the toughest and longest sentence IMO.

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

gottbecareful, I actually think they are charged with a normal assault but by adding the hate crime designation, more time can be tacked onto their sentence.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

@lealta wrote:

gottbecareful, I actually think they are charged with a normal assault but by adding the hate crime designation, more time can be tacked onto their sentence.

Then that's how it should be

they are cowards and stupid on top of it.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

I have just never understood, how someone can hate a person because they are gay, or because of the color of their skin.  I have a son who is gay.  He was in a Denny's a few years ago, late at night with three of his friends.  There was a table of men near them who were drunk.  They started making derogatory comments about gays, directed towards my son's table.  He and his friends were so uncomfortable and nervous, that they got up and left without eating.  No one should ever be subjected to this.  My heart breaks when I hear about a beating like the two men in the story suffered.  I understand how easily it could be my son, in this situation.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

I don't think there should be a difference. If you beat the living carp out of someone then you don't exactly love them do you.

If this was a little old white hetero man/lady that got beaten for the $20 in his/her pocket, should the rabble get a lesser sentence than if it was a gay or coloured person.

Yes I know people bash gays because they are gay and different races because they are different races etc, I just have a problem with different strokes. In my opinion there should not be lesser crimes because of that.

It's the same as the yeah I know you helped murder so and so but we will let you off if you rat on your mates. Nooo you did it too.

This is of course jmo

Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light.
Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Ridiculous isn't it ?

I have 2 for 2.....

I have a gay daughter, and my son is part aboriginal, so I can get a little heated in this sort of discussion......

Although I must say 'female' homosexuality seems more accepted (who knows why?) and my son has never had any racial slurs made against him (he is 6'4" and gorgeous, maybe that helps LOL).

Either way, hate is hate and I have pity for those who have been raised/conditioned to think this way.

Guess what ? We all come in to the world the same way and we are all going to go out the same way.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

lealta, my daughter is gay, so I know where you are coming from.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

gottabe, how old is your daughter. When mine first made the announcement all her peers were being kicked out of home. There is a whole different attitude now I think 

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

So should it be considered the same just because it is a beating?

Shouldn't the severity of the crime play a major role?

Seven beating up one.

Or one beating up one.

I think hate crimes should get the maximum punishment.

The people who do that is for the sole purpose to degrade the victim.

Many times these victims die.

Someone who beats up the little old lady for her purse is doing it for money.

Whether it's money for food or drugs, the beating wasn't done just for the sake of pounding the carp out of someone.

Lealta, your son sounds like a wonderful young man.

You have every right to be proud, and yes, as his mother, I am sure you worry.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply