Dodgy real estate agents

Anyone else come across them?

I've bought and sold about 8 properties and have never had cause to complain about an agent but a recent experience has really opened my eyes to how dirty and low down they can get.

We tried to buy a property and the agent prevented us from making an offer so he could sell it to a friend for nearly $50k below what we were prepared to offer. I am totally dumbfounded about it, we did everything but beat down the agents doors and camp out in the office to try and get an offer presented but he just wouldnt do it.

I am so totally dejected by the whole experience, I've even lost sleep over it. Who do they think they are playing with people like this? Its disgusting.

Anyone had this happen to them, the more people I tell the more I realise this is almost common practice for them.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Dodgy real estate agents

No - but

Paid a Valuer to value house & property.

35 years experience - charged $385 :

Valuation arrived - according to it I now live 5 doors up in a larger residence.

Hello - wrong address - and - still looking for the 4th bedroom.

Only been here 28 years - perhaps I missed something.

Robot Frustrated

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

I wonder if there's a law he's broken there.  I'm sure it happens a fair bit. A while back my niece had trouble tracking down an agent to submit an offer too and missed out.

It's funny because the agent that sold her house actually sold it to his daughter.  It had been on the market for a while though so I think it was just the way it turned out.

Joono
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

May be worth a question to Fair Trading.

Otherwise they just continue.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Helen, we had an agent come and value our house a couple of years back.  It was the same real estate company that we bought it through.

He came with a valuation pretty much all drawn up, but it was for a two bedroom weatherboard cottage.  That was the house that we bought on the property some ten years before but it had been knocked down and we were trying to value the new one.

They could have at least done a drive-by and seen that this place is not 120 years old.

Joono
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Its certainly against the law, its not an easy thing to prove though. I have made a complaint to consumer affairs but I doubt much will come of it. The vendor would have a better chance of getting action than me.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

The bigger problem we have now is that its a pretty small town we want to buy in and there are only really 2 real estate agents listing most of the properties. How do we deal with them again if they end up listing another house we want to buy? We certainly cant trust them to be honest, especially after a couple of verbal atercations and a couple of offial complaints.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

If the buyer hasn't moved in yet then maybe put an envelope under the door as they are supposed to be acting

in the best interest of the seller,(not their friends).

http://www.whichinvestmentproperty.com.au/blog/13417-are-real-estate-agents-as-dodgy-as-they-seem

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

We did have contact with the vendor which prompted him to reopen the negotiations as there was still no contract in place. Consequently he ended up with $25k more then he would have, still $25k below what we would have paid. The agent prevented us from making an offer even at that time by lying to us about the availability of the contract. At the same time they were denying its existence they were signing up his friend and convincing the vendor to take that offer over ours.

Contracts are all signed now so there's really nothing we can do. I've sent a letter to the vendor saying I'll back him if he wants to take action, but I feel that he is probably over the whole ordeal and just wants to move on.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

He is dodgy as....In NSW a copy of the Contract MUST be on hand BEFORE the property is put up for sale by an agent.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Tenants_and_home_owners/Selling_property/The_sale_process.page

I would put an offer of a property in writing and email it (proof).  (I can't find it now, but there was an example where the person offering in writing, requested a written YES/NO of acceptance from the seller due to dubious actions of an agent).

Where's Jean?  She could help more, here, on this subject. 

DEB

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply