Dogs in apartments. Fair?

New laws about to be introduced to allow dogs in apartments. Previously it was a matter the corporate body making the decision.

On the one hand I say it should be OK.

But on the other hand I wonder if it is fair to the animal (I can't imagine a large dog being cooped up inside all day without a yard) and is it fair to neighbours?

http://smh.domain.com.au/real-estate-news/apartments-go-to-the-dogs-20130619-2ojec.html

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Dogs in apartments. Fair?

Yes, disabled children go to school in school hours. A friend of mine little sister (physically and intellectually disabled) got door to door tranpsort in a van.

Message 31 of 46
Latest reply

That is great for your friend am 🙂

Does she take her dog to school too? Or is it left inside all day?

Photobucket
Message 32 of 46
Latest reply

LOL Az.

Message 33 of 46
Latest reply

That is great for your friend am 🙂

Does she take her dog to school too? Or is it left inside all day?

What dog?

Message 34 of 46
Latest reply

Oh the irony

Not all dogs are locked inside all day, most people with pets adore them and look after them.

Photobucket
Message 35 of 46
Latest reply

Where do apartment dogs spend their day, when their owners are at work 5 days a week?

Message 36 of 46
Latest reply

I can't answer for all of the am

some have dog walkers

some owners don't work

some owners work from home and walk their pets

some apartments have gardens

you sound a bit aggressive am?

I don't own a dog 😞 so just guessing 🙂

Photobucket
Message 37 of 46
Latest reply

I don't own a pet either. If I lived in an apartment I wouldn't own one. That is not to say I don't think anyone else living in apartments shouldn't own one, if the owners corp allow them.

Message 38 of 46
Latest reply

aspie*mum
Community Member

I live in an apartment and my dog stays there all day.  I work 5 days a week.

He sleeps all day - I borrowed my friends kitty cam (camera that goes on the collar and records).  He seems to do what he did at our flat and our house - sleep.  My mum says he's a "fat fool".  He's not a barker, but he howls and cries if you don't pick him up.

BUT most days, he comes with me when I drop my daughter at my parents house (dad looks after her before and after school) and the dog stays there during the day, this way he gets to walk to and from school with my daughter.  But if it's raining he stays at the apartment indoors, as he's too hairy to walk in the rain.  He's also a fool who lays down in anything wet he can and my dad refuses to wash and dry him (he's scared he will be bitten).

On the days it rains Freddy seems happy enough to be left at home.  He certainly hasn't destroyed anything and doesn't seem to move his toys much if at all after we leave.  No evidence he's scratched the door trying to get out or anything.

Message 39 of 46
Latest reply

Yes, disabled children go to school in school hours. A friend of mine little sister (physically and intellectually disabled) got door to door tranpsort in a van.

My son is 15, has a disability that the school couldn't cope with so he is at home with me all day.  Along with 2 cats and a golden retriever.

Mind you we don't live in an apartment.

You don't have to be crazy to be here, but it helps.
Message 40 of 46
Latest reply