Doing a Robert.

johcaschro
Community Member

Religious freedom review appointee has argued for limited sharia law in Australia

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/dec/15/religious-freedom-review-appointee-has-argued...

"The Turnbull government has appointed an academic who has argued that recognising religious freedom should include acceptance of a limited form of sharia law to the Ruddock review.

On Thursday the government released broad terms of reference for its religious freedom inquiry, headed by former attorney general Philip Ruddock, including the new appointment of University of Queensland constitutional law professor Nicholas Aroney to the five-person panel.

Aroney is an expert on legal pluralism, law and religion who has warned that religious freedom has become a second-class right to anti-discrimination and argued that religious freedom should include a right to practise sharia law within “strictly justifiable limits imposed by the general law”.

So, in an attempt to guarantee religious freedom to  people are we also to support their freedom to oppress some others in their religious community because, well, it's religious and a religious teaching and therefore we should be free to be religiously devout in our oppression of others?

As for all you infidelic unbelievers, well, you know what you can do . . . or maybe what we can do to you . . . all in the name of religious freedom, you understand?

So, as Bob would say . . . Discuss.

(and yes, you really should read the article linked to . . it won't kill you to do a little reading, after all.)

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Doing a Robert.

Fundamental to sharia law is the decree to obey the laws of the land. 

Sharia law refers to a moral code to live by; with consequences set out for those who chose to take a different path (but within the laws of the land).

There is nothing to fear.  Anyone with enough energy to worry about people getting stoned, limbs amputated etc. in retribution, should be able to use their time much more purposefully by educating themselves re this subject. 

I am not Muslim and only know Muslim people I work with (as far as I am aware).  I have however made an effort to read a lot and learn, ask questions of my Muslim colleagues, and also was entertained earlier this year by the documentary series "The Mosque Next Door".

With reference to church abuse - that is much worse - not the same as following sharia law, which must by its own decree obey the laws of the land.  No mandatory reporting of abuse/abusers means religious institutions are NOT obeying the laws of the land. 

THAT we should worry about. 

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

When it comes to abuse, the offenders were not obeying the laws of the land, not then, not now.

That's why they committed the offences secretly.

It's not just the church or churches where it happened either. The fact of the matter is it most commonly happened in homes-friends & family are the main abusers. Then you have all sorts of institutions plus the entertainment industry seems to have had a lot of it.

As for madatory reporting, it didn't seem to happen, not in any of the institutions, though it may now, the mind set has changed.

Sharia law worries me. It may say the laws of the land need to be obeyed. But there are quite  afew muslims around who feel that sharia law should be above secular law.

I don't believe we are about to see anyone stoned here in Australia. But we could see the lash. 

We do see such things as female circumcision, even though it is not supposed to happen. There's no reason to suppose sharia law would always keep to the law of the land here either.

It may start out that way but I'd be interested to see how it develops. A case in point: Aboriginal tribal law. Remember reading a while ago that there was debate about letting that take precedence over the law of the land in some instances and it was stated that in some cases it may be a lot tougher than our laws and allow, eg spearing in the leg.

I'd say no to that too.

One law for everyone. Take it or leave it.

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

Religious freedom makes no sense to me. What's the point of having 2 rules if my belief(being a religious person) is one of them is made by the greatest, smartest being in the entire Universe who will torture me forever if I don't do what she says vs a rule made by some falable human being who'll only give me a slap on the wrist. You either go the whole hog or not at all. Can't say I'll only follow God some of the times. If God tells you to do something, wouldn't you do it?

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Religious freedom makes no sense to me. What's the point of having 2 rules if my belief(being a religious person) is one of them is made by the greatest, smartest being in the entire Universe who will torture me forever if I don't do what she says vs a rule made by some falable human being who'll only give me a slap on the wrist.

That all depends on what view point you look at as anyone that is not religious will have the opposite view

and one that's in the here and now that deals with the physical body and mind in the present.

You either go the whole hog or not at all. Can't say I'll only follow God some of the times. If God tells you to do something, wouldn't you do it?

I've never heard of anyone being directly addressed by him except in biblical stories so who knows if it's

actually "god" that does the speaking,Who knows.gif

Must be a lonely life having created all that misery on Earth and then doing nothing about it,(he is praised" if

something good happens and he's not at fault if something bad happens doesn't make sense).

I've never being ably to phantom how a person can actually thank a god for "killing" their child/mother/father,etc

because they must have had a reason to do so or he must have a purpose for them,shok.gif

Sorry for my cynicism but IMHO nothing good has ever come from any religion and religion will be the most

likely cause in the destruction of the human race, stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

The laws are in place for everyone and they should be upheld by everyone whilst they are living in this

country and they should be above any religious beliefs.

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

Religion has always been used to rule and control the people.

One will always find a power-hungry egomaniac as a leader and rule maker.

religion is the root of all evil as far as I am concerned.

Erica

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply