Domestic Violence

Prime Minister Tony Abbott says he believes a meeting between federal, state and territory leaders is the best forum to tackle domestic violence.

His comment follows a call by Opposition Leader Bill Shorten in January for a national crisis summit on the issue so survivors, police, child protection officers, women's shelter staff, judges and federal, state and territory leaders could devise a national plan.

Seventeen in every 100 Australian women has faced violence from a current or previous partner, and on average one is killed each week.

"It's a national disgrace," Mr Shorten told reporters in Canberra.

What do you think needs to see changed ??

Message 1 of 94
Latest reply
93 REPLIES 93

Domestic Violence

ladydeburg
Community Member

It's a huge problem but human nature being what it is can human behaviour be changed? maybe for some but not for others.

Message 2 of 94
Latest reply

Domestic Violence

Human nature can be changed.

Educating men on the subject, both that it is not acceptable AND speak up if you know it is occurring.

Message 3 of 94
Latest reply

Domestic Violence

I'll make a comment her that might be wrong so happy to be corrected.

You go into some places, hospitals, churches (maybe) and others and see leaflets re DV.

However, you never seen DV things where men might congregate or see.

ie On Alcohol boxes etc, Car rallies, not in the pubs I go into.

One thing I would say is, Peer group pressure from other males of the same age, back ground etc

is IMHO one way of making other men sit up and take notice.

You can write as many articles in the media or reports as you like, most of which aren't likely to be seen by the target audience

but with males, I think it needs putting in front of them in black and white from a medium or person they would listen to.

Just my HO.

Message 4 of 94
Latest reply

Domestic Violence

I just find it incredibly sad that we need to have a high level national meeting to stop people beating up and killing other people. I simply can't understand a mind that thinks it is ok to hurt and damage someone else.

Simplistic I know, but it just baffles me.
Message 5 of 94
Latest reply

Domestic Violence

I read recently that some govt departments in canberra had to remove posters, saying violence and sexual abuse is not ok, from men's toilets because some men were offended by them. I'll try to find the article.
Message 6 of 94
Latest reply

Domestic Violence

Lurker

A lot of people can't or don't know how to control aggression and it comes out in physical violence on others

- not withstanding emotional, psychological violence is also a part of this.

'

Some men are very good at controlling aggression and knowing the boundaries, even when what they are doing is legal

(not relating this to DV, just a general comment in relation to legal aggressive activities).

Message 7 of 94
Latest reply

Domestic Violence

@lurker172602 wrote:
I read recently that some govt departments in canberra had to remove posters, saying violence and sexual abuse is not ok, from men's toilets because some men were offended by them. I'll try to find the article.

That's a problem with society, one person can say they are offended and bang, down come the posters.

Or the TV / Radio show gets taken off the air or censured.

etc etc

Message 8 of 94
Latest reply

Domestic Violence

ladydeburg
Community Member

Murder suicides are the worst, they hate their wives so much, but  why do they have to kill the children too. 

We see this far too often and no summit is going to prevent it, we saw one this week and the woman was heavily pregnant.

The awareness campaign that has been running for decades now, what has it accomplished? maybe more severe punishments and long sentences but it hasn't diminished the crimes still being perpetrated against women and children.

Sadly I don't hold out any hope that you can change  a persons nature,  if they have it in their mind they will act on it.

Message 9 of 94
Latest reply

Domestic Violence

@lurker172602 wrote:

My apologies.  They were anti rape and assault posters, but the thinking is still the same.  

Anti-rape signs considered 'inappropriate' for ACT government offices

Message 10 of 94
Latest reply