on 04-03-2015 10:24 AM
Prime Minister Tony Abbott says he believes a meeting between federal, state and territory leaders is the best forum to tackle domestic violence.
His comment follows a call by Opposition Leader Bill Shorten in January for a national crisis summit on the issue so survivors, police, child protection officers, women's shelter staff, judges and federal, state and territory leaders could devise a national plan.
Seventeen in every 100 Australian women has faced violence from a current or previous partner, and on average one is killed each week.
"It's a national disgrace," Mr Shorten told reporters in Canberra.
What do you think needs to see changed ??
on 04-03-2015 03:28 PM - last edited on 05-03-2015 04:20 AM by li.vish
You don't want help from Abbott.
I'd love it if he could turn round to you and say, Polks, you don't want the $30 million, fine, I'll take it back
and give it to others who are more appreciative.
04-03-2015 03:38 PM - edited 04-03-2015 03:39 PM
Your post makes no sense.
Edit. Well, yes it does. It demonstrates exactly why these bodies are set up.
on 04-03-2015 03:39 PM
@polksaladallie wrote:Queensland already set up a task force last year, and it is well underway.
Abbott is playing copycat catch-up for a boost.
Oh look, that bastion of malehood have jumped on the DV copy cat wagon as well, just for a boost !
"The Australian Workers Union has adopted domestic violence as a workplace issue and will for the first time include a domestic violence leave clause in its model agreement.
National secretary, Scott McDine, said the AWU has been traditionally male-dominated, but wanted to "evolve".
"That means genuinely listening to women, understanding the entailments and protections that will enable them to have fulfilling and safe working lives," he said."
on 04-03-2015 03:40 PM
@vicr3000 wrote:
Federal and state governments commit $30 million for domestic violence campaign
Federal and state governments will spend $30 million on a national awareness campaign to stop domestic violence as Prime Minister Tony Abbott announced he will meet with Labor to discuss a bipartisan approach to the issue.
Michaelia Cash, the Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for Women, told the National Press Club on Wednesday that domestic violence was a "scourge", noting that each week in Australia one woman is murdered at the hands of a current or former partner.
"We need as a government and as a society to shine a spotlight on the issue."
She forgot to mention that there have been funding cuts of over $240 million from Domestic Violence and homelessness organisations in the last budget. A bit rich to now be spending $30 million to put up an awareness campaign. They only need to speak with people on the coalface to learn what needs to be done.
04-03-2015 03:52 PM - edited 04-03-2015 03:53 PM
ALEX
I like the way you slipped "Domestic Violence" into "$240 million from Domestic Violence and homelessness organisations"
It didn't actually specify DV organisations, it was more directed at the homeless, poor and sick.
on 04-03-2015 04:48 PM
Actually I didn't 'slip' DV in there. The money was also taken from women's refuges which are predominantly used by women escaping domestic violence and being homeless because of it. So it makes a mockery of the $30mil when so much more has been taken out of the sector.
on 04-03-2015 05:50 PM
04-03-2015 05:53 PM - edited 04-03-2015 05:55 PM
@polksaladallie wrote:Queensland already set up a task force last year, and it is well underway.
Abbott is playing copycat catch-up for a boost.
Oh really? Can he do anything right in your view? Saying things like that makes people sound a bit vacuous imo
on 04-03-2015 06:00 PM
04-03-2015 06:03 PM - edited 04-03-2015 06:05 PM
Plenty of stories like this in other states also , due to cuts in funding. It applies to homelessness as well, as if women do get a place in a refuge, they then need to move on from there into a house/unit.
Obviously if a woman (and children) are fleeing from a violent partner in their home, they are 'homeless' the moment they walk out the door. If they have no money for bonds, no family to stay with.
Funding cuts see refuges in ACT reject desperate women, families
Oct 2014
Refuge manager Robyn Mar said the deep cuts had hurt.
"It's a third of our funding; in real terms $80,000," she said. "It's meant that we have lost a support worker position too."
The refuge has space for nine women but might have 20 or more children in care at any given time.
"Space doesn't come up very often because each woman stays with us on average six to nine months," Ms Mar said.
It was difficult to help clients find independent accommodation. Waiting lists for public housing were long and many clients had to manage complex trauma.
Canberra Times