Don Burke - another accused abuser of women

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Don Burke's program Burke's Backyard was a ratings juggernaut for Channel Nine before it was cancelled in 2004.

For almost two decades Don Burke was one of the most powerful men in Australia's entertainment industry. His popular gardening program Burke's Backyard was a ratings juggernaut for the Nine Network until it was unceremoniously axed in 2004.

But now a major Fairfax Media/ABC investigation can reveal that behind the scenes those who worked with Burke claim he was a "psychotic bully", a "misogynist" and a "sexual predator" who indecently assaulted, sexually harassed and bullied a string of female employees.

"He was a vile, vile human being," said Bridget Ninness, a former producer on Burke's Backyard, who later launched legal action against Burke for psychological abuse. "He was lewd and he was crude" and his constant talk of sex was "designed to confront you and to demean you", she said.

Louise Langdon, a former researcher, was subjected to ongoing harassment by Burke which included trying to remove her top, and on another occasion Burke "put his foot into my rear end, with the view to checking the tone of my ... my backside". He then stated that the firmness of her "backside" wasn't "up to scratch".

"I loathed him, he was just a pig. He was lecherous and sinister," said another former researcher who alleges she was indecently assaulted by Burke.

Even David Leckie, the former chief executive of the Nine Network, said he wasn't surprised to receive our call about Burke. "I've been trying to think of Harvey Weinstein-type people [in Australia] and the only one I can ever come up with is Burke. He was a horrible, horrible man," he said.

Unlike Weinstein, Burke is not accused of rape, but the more than 50 people interviewed during this investigation have made serious allegations about Burke's actions.

"Don Burke was a disgrace because of his behaviour internally and externally," said Sam Chisholm, Leckie's predecessor at Nine.

More here -

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/a-high-grade-twisted-abuser-don-burke-a-sexual-harasser-and...

Message 1 of 96
Latest reply
95 REPLIES 95

i think we used to call them 'touchy feely' people.

ive never liked that 'hi there, smooch' 'kiss kiss' carp.

Message 2 of 96
Latest reply

I met him a couple of times (my gran was a big fan and dragged me along)

He seemed to me like he was a bit of a slimey grub

Maybe I was right

Message 3 of 96
Latest reply

I'm taking this with a grain of salt until we hear more. But it's quite disappointing if it's true. I've always viewed him, like Steve Irwin, as a fair dinkum Aussie bloke. Oh well...

Message 4 of 96
Latest reply

@enigmabear wrote:

I met him a couple of times (my gran was a big fan and dragged me along)

He seemed to me like he was a bit of a slimey grub

Maybe I was right

You are not wrong.

Message 5 of 96
Latest reply

I heard rumours from some in the gardening trade, many years ago.

It's a real power trip for these mongrels.

The women who were falling at his feet in adoration will now come out of the woodwork

and cry foul, now, I suppose.

Message 6 of 96
Latest reply

These people need to be named and shamed. I read where the TV bosses just told people to ignore it.   50 women have alleged that he made inapprorirate comments.  People got away with this behavour years ago, not any more.  I worked in this industry for many years,.  Bullying was rife, we were told if it's not happening to you just ignore it....rubbish...stand up for your fellow worker.....people would say "oh I don't want to burn any bridges"....every man/woman for themselves.  You must stand up for what you see is ibad behaviour and nip it in the bud.  Also had a family member that was mistreated only a couple of years ago by the most disgusting verbal sexuall innuendo...the perp  is very lucky my OH didn't go down there and take matters into his own hands, he wanted to but I insisted we let the company handle it..    I often regret that he didnt pay him a visit because I never saw or heard that this person was made accountable for his acitons.  Sometimes thats all you need.

Message 7 of 96
Latest reply

Seems there will be quite a few other "assh.....es" that are known to the public that will be named and shamed..tip of the iceberg apparently!!Smiley Mad

Message 8 of 96
Latest reply

his interview on ACA at the moment....self diagnosed aspergers....

Message 9 of 96
Latest reply

Don Burke, Rolf Harris, Robert Hughes.

All seemingly and supposed to be respected Australian father figures...................I shake my head in disappointment. Smiley Sad

image host
Message 10 of 96
Latest reply