Drivers Claim They Were Too Drunk to Commit Murder

Albany, New York: Three people convicted of murder in deadly crashes have urged New York's highest court to throw out their convictions, arguing they were too intoxicated to know the threat they posed to others.

The murder convictions of Martin Heidgen, Taliyah Taylor and Franklin McPherson all hinge on the prosecution's contention they acted with "depraved indifference to human life" in fatal crashes that share a number of common threads: driving too fast in the wrong lane while under the influence.

Defence lawyers argued prosecutors failed to prove their clients acted with depraved indifference and, in fact, their clients were too impaired to know what they were doing.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/drivers-claim-they-were-too-drunk-to-commit-murder-20131010-2v9bs.html#i...
Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

When do people has to start taking responsibility for their own actions.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

well i can get the point pf the legal argument. its a matter of breaking it down to Involuntary manslaughter (or the equivalent) so they can avoid the murder minimum sentence, and attempt to get a shorter minimum.  a murder charge does carry an element of intent which driving intoxicated may not  if they didn't intend to killl anyone.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Martin Heidgen......driving too fast in the wrong lane while under the influence.

In case "wrong lane" means something different where you live....

He was driving against traffic on a main highway. It's a divided highway separated by trees, bushes, and guard rails. 3 times over the legal limit....driving at 70 mph the wrong way.

It's just a waste of money, he'll never win....and they should lengthen the time for trying.

It was a gruesome scene and a tragedy no one here will forget.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/personal/05/29/o.lifesaving.lesson/

*don't see the limo drivers pic...but he was killed also.*

flynn.png

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I am now sitting here with tears running down my face. That poor family.
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I did see the story of that accident on Oprah.  

It is just so horrendous and if you want to know why then just read the CNN link in Jimmeh's post.

Joono
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

@grandmoon wrote:
I am now sitting here with tears running down my face. That poor family.

I didn't mean to upset you. I think after reading that you can see why I think the decision wont get overturned. The jury will also see photos.

When people like this are convicted of such terrible crimes beyond a reasonable doubt beyond a shadow of doubt and fight it their time in jail should lengthened. It shows just how heartless they really are.

Anyway....The convictions were upheld. Thought you'd want to know.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Affirmative Action assures them they don't need to do so

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

The convictions were upheld. Thought you'd want to know.

Thank God for that.   

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply