Driving A Manual Car Again.

Panelbeater rings me up this morning, asks me if I can drive a manual gear shift.

I says yeah but I haven't driven one in years.

He says well I can't get an auto courtesy car til tomorrow but if you want to take the manual you can bring your car in today.

I say ok.

I managed to drive it out of the yard without bunny-hopping it lol. Stalled it a cpl times at the lights. Paranoid about any hill starts, scared of rolling back.

But I got used to it by the time I drove home. 🙂 Some things you never forget. Like riding a bike.

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

i think almost half of new drivers are only getting auto lisences.

Message 2 of 47
Latest reply

Both are cars are manuals, much prefer manual to automatic

Message 3 of 47
Latest reply

My car goes in on Wednesday I organised a hire car through the smash repair forgot to ask whether it was auto or manual so I might be in your exact situation. I haven't driven a manual for about 10 years.
Message 4 of 47
Latest reply

I went on youtube and watched a video, I learnt to drive a manual that way. 

Message 5 of 47
Latest reply

I always said I'd never want an auto, but once I got one I never looked back. Same with electric windows.

Message 6 of 47
Latest reply

Just listen to the sound of the engine that will tell you when to change gears. Love driving a manual.
Message 7 of 47
Latest reply

@jean2579 wrote:
Just listen to the sound of the engine that will tell you when to change gears. Love driving a manual.

isn't that what the red on the tacho is for?

Message 8 of 47
Latest reply

I hadn't driven a manual for 20 years, then I had to take my daughter for driving lessons.

You're right, you just do it but boy I was nervous. Especially when she bailed at the roundabout.

Tests any relationship, the stop, no no no go, delayed reaction STOP!

Message 9 of 47
Latest reply

@jean2579 wrote:

Can't listen to the engine, need music.

Message 10 of 47
Latest reply