Dublin priest tells congregation he is gay – and wins standing ovation

196 REPLIES 196

Re: Dublin priest tells congregation he is gay – and wins standing ovation

"and see the good in everyone, no matter how nasty some people are."

Are these the one's who "see good in everyone" and as such, "move on" a abusing priest to another Parish so that the

upcoming hard questions or investigation tends to fade away ?

Out of sight, out of mind ?

A widespread occurance in the US, Ireland and Australia by all legal accounts ?

And as such, maybe some people are a bit more wary of the whole thing.

Message 191 of 197
Latest reply

@the_hawk* wrote:

@azureline** wrote:

He is "on holidays"? I suspect he may be on a permanent one given his job description might actually include that he follows the rules set down for him 15 years ago.

The pulpit is not the place for politics either.

well it shows my ignorance, I thought they gave up that sort of thing when the became priests any way.

what sort of thing?

holidays?

disobedience to the Church?

politics?

Message 192 of 197
Latest reply

@lurker172602 wrote:

@*pepe wrote:

... there are primary school children with a better understanding of sexual orientation than you are displaying in this thread.

You are coming across as extremely naive or extremey bigoted, not sure which.

I'm more inclined to think bored and deliberately provocative. 

Yes, that is my take on it as well. Otherwise I would have to have conniptions and faint after reading replies like that in 2015.

Message 193 of 197
Latest reply

@aps1080 wrote:

"and see the good in everyone, no matter how nasty some people are."

Are these the one's who "see good in everyone" and as such, "move on" a abusing priest to another Parish so that the

upcoming hard questions or investigation tends to fade away ?

Out of sight, out of mind ?

A widespread occurance in the US, Ireland and Australia by all legal accounts ?

And as such, maybe some people are a bit more wary of the whole thing.

of course they aren't. Those priests don't condone breaking vows or abusing children.

Widespread? yes, in every Church and Religious group (in that link mentioned way back, the reason Pope Francis spoke out was because more revelations re the Anglican Church are about to be made public) and many other groups, teachers, sporting groups, youth groups etc. The list is endless.

Icy's oft repeated "won't leave her children with a priest" refrain should apply to everyone we don't trust implicitly.

The problem is, who can we trust?

There are grandfathers, fathers, mothers, uncles, aunts, siblings etc who can't be trusted but were clever enough to keep it secret. All guilty of pretending it didn't happen.

Message 194 of 197
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

Oops indeed. We're dealing with homosexuality and peaedophilia in the catholic priesthood in this thread, She-el, while you're showing a a study of the general population that has not actually been taken.

.....   Ummm .....  no .....  what you actually said in #82 was: "I think you need to get your head around the fact that not maybe not ALL gay men may be peadophiles, but a large majority are, and another large majority of the christian priesthood are.

I was pointing out that no study has everbeen or could ever be done t show that the large majority of gay men were paedophiles (so your "fact" did not bear scrutiny.

With regard to your statement "and another large majority of the christian priesthood are [paedophiles]. the study that you quote in #165 details the number of priests who identified themselves as homosexual it showed no evidence whatsoever to support your contention that the majority of them must have been  paedophiles

seeing no study has been undertaken there is no proof either way.

And yet you said: "you need to get your head around the fact that a a large majority [of homosexual men] are [paedophiles]"

It wasn't a fact at all was it - just a wild accusation, plucked out of the air at random and  based on absolutely no evidence..?

Message 195 of 197
Latest reply

Your basing your "no evidence" on a study that was never done?

That's funny 🙂

There's not much evidence because such cases are largely kept under wraps and only a small minority of young ppl have the courage to speak out.

I have to head out now be back later

Message 196 of 197
Latest reply

@azureline** wrote:

@polksaladallie wrote:

@punch*drunk wrote:

I wonder how many priests actually keep their vow of celibacy, hetero or gay. I read that more than 50% of priests in Ireland have a mistress.

They have "housekeepers" in Australia. 

Believe it or not, there are actually priests who believe in what they are doing and keep their celibacy vows, who are honest and see the good in everyone, no matter how nasty some people are.

My parish does not employ a live in housekeeper (I have been here 10 years) a cleaner comes in daily but they generally fend for themselves or join parishioners for meals.

Another I am familiar with has a cleaner once a week, usually parishioners, and they also provide some meals.

In the years I have been aware, I have not known one Parish that had a live in housekeeper.

I am quite sure that there are celibate priests, but I am equally sure that there are non-celibate priests.

There is another apart from this one who I have heard say similar, but I can't find it. 

"During my first year, I used to ask all the other priests, 'How do you manage the celibacy?'" he says, "and they would say things like, 'You have to exercise or pray.'?" [Father Kevin has been lifting weights for two decades.] To this day, he remembers the advice he received from a fifth-year seminarian, who told him: "Don't say, 'I am going to be celibate for the rest of my life'; just say, 'I am going to be celibate today.'?"

At the same time, he developed a strong suspicion that other seminarians - and indeed other priests -were not actually celibate. "It was a farce!" he says, laughing, "There were priests who had 'housekeepers' but everyone knew they were really their girlfriends. There were gay men, running around after each other. It was pretty blatant, although they don't let everyone know that until you are part of the family."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/unholy-vows/story-e6frg8h6-1226439480363?nk=d48fc77540...

Message 197 of 197
Latest reply