E-Mew or EE-Mooh?

ecar3483
Community Member

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-25/npr-emu-story-prompts-pronunciation-debate/12592060

The disappearance of Winston Charles Featherbill has kicked off quite a debate...

How is it pronounced, or does it really matter?

🙂

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: E-Mew or EE-Mooh?

That's all well and good, but how do you say chips, six, any word with an 'i' in it?

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

LOL seen I was married to a pom for 30 years and lived in QLD for 13 years I have a really stuffed up accent 

My Kiwi kids hate is when I say Doona LOL

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

I say "fish" "chips" and "six"  generally ........ but apparently after a month or so in NZ I end up somewhere between "fish" and "fush" 😄

The kiwi accent is odd .....  my Mum has lived in NZ all her life (89 years) and has very little accent - it is the words and phrases she uses that identify her as kiwi rather than her accent.  My brother though has a noticable accent.

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

@lionrose.7 wrote:

LOL seen I was married to a pom for 30 years and lived in QLD for 13 years I have a really stuffed up accent 

My Kiwi kids hate is when I say Doona LOL

WIth your history.......how do you say 'thank you'?  My SIL is a former pom, lived in NZ since her teens and she says "than - queue" and I've often wondered if it is the kiwi / pom crossover😀.  It sounds really cute😎

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

I was reading that a big difference between American and British English is Americans tend to pronounce the R more. Forget the exact example they gave but eg card, in British English we might say cahd. In US they sort of roll the R around a bit.

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

My cousin in America couldn't stop laughing when I mentioned the coloured chocolate thingies - Smartees rather than Smarrrrrdees

image host
Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

I just say to every one thank you sweetie. must be getting old calling every one Sweetie or Love.

Called my Doctor Love one day LOL

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

emu2.jpg

There once was an emu named Eemoo,

Who strutted about in a tutu,

He fluttered around,

And uttered no sound,

But danced like a crazy mad cuckoo!

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply