E-Mew or EE-Mooh?

ecar3483
Community Member

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-25/npr-emu-story-prompts-pronunciation-debate/12592060

The disappearance of Winston Charles Featherbill has kicked off quite a debate...

How is it pronounced, or does it really matter?

🙂

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

E-Mew or EE-Mooh?

Seeing as the english language sounds the letter U as 'you'.

I would say it's  E...myou.

image host
Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

E-Mew or EE-Mooh?

E-moo is Murrican pronunciation. As an emu is an Australian animal, the Australian pronunciation e-myou would be correct.

It's not hard, unless you are not Australian.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

E-Mew or EE-Mooh?

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Stoopid Americans

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

E-Mew or EE-Mooh?

go-tazz
Community Member

The Yanks can destroy any word any you only have to have a look at some of the words in the dictionaries to see how good they are at butchering the English language so that they have a language of their own no matter how stupid it sounds.stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

You only have to watch some US "lifestyle" programs on TV and the common words they pronounce completely wrong and are phonetically incorrect. shok.gif

I've always pronounced it as E MU

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

E-Mew or EE-Mooh?

Australians tend to accent the first syllable, Yanks the second, or subsequent.

Hence MelBOURNE instead of MELbun. CanBERRA instead of CANbra, BrisBAINE instead of BRISbun.

They really can't help it. After all, MurrICA is the centER of the uniVERSE, and if you ask The DonALD, he would claim that AmerRICA invented English.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

E-Mew or EE-Mooh?

LOL  - wouldn't it be :

eem - you.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

E-Mew or EE-Mooh?

@davewil1964 wrote:

Australians tend to accent the first syllable, Yanks the second, or subsequent.

Hence MelBOURNE instead of MELbun. CanBERRA instead of CANbra, BrisBAINE instead of BRISbun.

They really can't help it. After all, MurrICA is the centER of the uniVERSE, and if you ask The DonALD, he would claim that AmerRICA invented English.

They always put the emfarsis on the wrong sillarble

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

E-Mew or EE-Mooh?

They also say erb instead of herb, oh marge instead of homage and one I particularly dislike fee lay instead of fillet.  

The emu one though......how disrepectful!!  For an American to decide how an Australian word should be pronounced is unspeakably arrogant.  

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

E-Mew or EE-Mooh?

That erbs thing drives me Crazy LOL

Another thing I hate is when the police are arresting some one out side they say get down on the floor,

Floors are in houses, why dont they say get down on the ground.

I have actually yelled at the TV saying it is the B ground not the B floor LOL

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply