Elderly drivers - if and when should they be re-tested?

I used to be a regular poster on these boards, however been MIA for a while.  However just wondering what peoples thoughts are on licences with elderly.  There have been quite a few accidents recently, accelorator being mistaken for brake etc.  I know there are also alot of accidents with P Platers.  However, when should someone give up driving?  Who makes that decision? Speaking to a local shop owner the other day and he told me about a guy that is very unstead on his feet and in his opinion should not be driving, is it the shop keepers responsibility to report him? Have people had to tell elderly parents they should no longer be driving (when the time comes?)

interested in thoughts.

Message 1 of 41
Latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Seems to be an increase in those acc/brake mix ups.

I did a little research amongst the local community and I found one of the main causes. If not THE cause.

Many elderly, being tired in their limbs have resorted to using left foot on the brake and the right foot on the accelerator. (auto car)

Aleviating the need to lift the leg.

Therefore in a situation needing quick thinking the driver will spontaneously use the foot they are accustomed to from many decades of driving, being the right foot thinking they are going to brake as that is what they might have just done seconds before, but not realizing they braked with their left, the "new way". They think their right foot is ON the brake.

I am in the process of forwading my findings to VICROADS and RACV.

There needs to be a service set up within the licence provider for elderly to be tested at a certain age (possibly regular tests afterwards) and for family members to be able to recommend a test for a loved one should they need to be tested at an earlier age.

image host
Message 2 of 41
Latest reply

that makes sense.  we are in this situation at the moment.  However we had him tested at the docs and he passed the memory test (count backward by 7's, what day is it etc) but that was a good day.  he doesn't want to give up and it is very difficult to take away someone's independence, its heartbreaking actually.  83 years old, reflexes not what they were, mind not as sharp, doc says just drive locally....very frustrating.

Message 3 of 41
Latest reply

Definitely a tough one. 

Lets hope it comes to him admitting he should hang up the keys before something happens.

Perhaps check to see if he is using both feet and also look at the routes he uses to make suggestions for less traffic and easier parking. In other words help him to find easier ways of doing what he needs to do. That's what I do with my father.

image host
Message 4 of 41
Latest reply

We've not long ago had this discussion in the UK so I thought you all might be interested in what was said over here:-

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/The-Round-Table/Should-drivers-over-70/m-p/4521349#U4521349

By the way, people who drive a car with auto transmission should have learned LONG ago to only use ONE foot.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 41
Latest reply

Drive with your foot on the brake, you'll kill your transmission quick smart

Message 6 of 41
Latest reply

my fathers doctor is as old as he is, no wonder he thinks he should still drive.

Message 7 of 41
Latest reply

My FiL had his license taken off him a while ago.  Not because anything had happened, but as a precaution before it did.  

He was VERY cross and had no hesitation in telling the world about it.  It's a hard thing to do, but necessary sometimes.

Regarding there being a mandatory age, as was suggested here in NSW recently, I don't agree.  Why 70? Why not 73 or 68?  I deliver meals on wheels and some of our drivers are over 70 and extremely capable drivers.  

Maybe everyone's driving ability should be tested on a regular basis, not just the elderly?

Message 8 of 41
Latest reply

My husband has been a professional driver all his adult life. He still has his Bus and Heavy Vehicle liscence, but he had to go for medical and drivers tests when he turned 70, as he was still driving Buses at that time. He is 78 now and still a confident driver, but he agreed to stop driving when I start to get nervous when in the car with him.

My next door neighbour used to drive her car well into her late 80s. Once upon a time I enjoyed to go with her shopping or to meetings, but eventually I realised that her reflexes were not as they should be and her concentration on traffic was questionable. I gave up going with her as it made me nervous and insecure. Eventually her family convinced her to get rid of the car. She will be 91 this year, but I think if she had continued driving, she may not be here anymore.

It is not only a medical check that people need once over 70, I believe a drivers test is absolutely neccessary as roads and road rules change all the time.The rules that were when my husband was 18 and got his liscence have long changed since then. 60 years ago there where no Freeways, no Toll zones, not so many different speed limits.

My suggestion would be for everyone to have a compulsory medical and drivers test once over 70 and then every two years after. People suffer with vision impairment, hearing loss, angina attacks etc. etc. and need to be made acountable for their actions. If the law takes their drivers liscence way because of failing the tests, then no family or friend can be blamed. Only the driver will have to admit to Police that they are not fit to drive safely any more.

It's a hard thing to take away what a driver thinks are his/her legs, but something sensible has to be done by the Government to change the driving laws.

Erica

Message 9 of 41
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I chickened out when it was time for my father to stop driving.

When he was due to get his medical done I had a word with his doctor that his sight was not as good as it should be.

He very kindly broke the news to Dad that he could not pass him medically fit because of his eyes.   Dad was cranky but accepted the inevitable and gave his car to his youngest granddaughter.

Even if his eyes were better I doubt that his reflexes would have passed muster.

He had had a fall some months before and had not driven for many months.....I doubt if he realised how much he had deteriorated in that time.

Message 10 of 41
Latest reply