Election promises

ladydeburg
Community Member

What is the future of elections if  truth in advertising is ignored.,  any election promise that has to be broken is a death knell for any government these days after the carbon lie.

Should political parties make any promises at all in election mode? and if not, how will we judge what their policies are? if a policy is found to be unworkable or unaffordable in changing circumstances, should the party be then subject to relentless attack  until government is unworkable.

The new political landscape we see now is very different to the landscape we saw under Hawke and Howard.

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Election promises

@ladydeburg wrote:

What is the future of elections if  truth in advertising is ignored.,  any election promise that has to be broken is a death knell for any government these days after the carbon lie.

Should political parties make any promises at all in election mode? and if not, how will we judge what their policies are? if a policy is found to be unworkable or unaffordable in changing circumstances, should the party be then subject to relentless attack  until government is unworkable.

The new political landscape we see now is very different to the landscape we saw under Hawke and Howard.

Funny that.

I've been compiling a list of broken election promises, (all parties), since the late 70's. So far, it's over two A4 pages long!

No sign of it's growth slowing down, either.

Sorry, but all pollies are self-serving grubs who do not deserve our time or respect. Primarily concerned with their own monetary reward, none bother to plan for Australia for the long haul, as they know full well the limitations of party favour - and so instead,  attempt to introduce short-term plans to keep the sheeple happy until the next election.

Wouldn't it be grand if pollies were paid on a performance basis?

Sadly, my feeling is that the current crop would be soon on the dole!

Message 2 of 34
Latest reply

Election promises

gleee58
Community Member

@ladydeburg wrote:

Because the loony nutters kicked Turnbull to the curb and picked Abbott as leader.

We had the perfect opportunity for change with the minority government who had to debate, consider more carefully and negotiate more than any other govt before but unfortunately we also got the world's biggest spoil sport as LOO.

Abbott is not suitable as a leader.  He is a sledger, in his owns words, that's all he was ever good at.   He's not a leader, he's a school yard bully boy who has a problem with people of higher intelligence, has a problem with women, has a problem with those who are not wealthy white men (or their wives), and the greatest travesty of all is that he has no vision for the future. 

We need leaders with ideas and vision for the future.  Not pretend leaders who are quick to blame the entire population of Australian for their failures rather than acknowledge their own shortcomings.  They are a bunch of greedy, leaners who want the rest of us to work till we drop so they can indulge in the high life.

Message 3 of 34
Latest reply

Election promises

You are right, but I think to an extent the electorate is partly to blame.

ONE instance I can think of that changed the landscape is when Jeff Kennett got kicked out.

Afterwards, I think a lot regretted it because he was someone who was planning long term

and making the hard decisions that a lot didn't like.

So it kind of sent a message to the Pollies, why bother working long term,

snout in trough, suck up as much as possible and move on.

Turnbull would be one of the exceptions to that, what he earns is petty cash

to what he is worth and what he could still be earning.

Message 4 of 34
Latest reply

Election promises

@gleee58 wrote:
  They are a bunch of greedy, leaners who want the rest of us to work till we drop so they can indulge in the high life.

Really ?

You have the gaul to say that ?

The mind boggles

Message 5 of 34
Latest reply

Election promises

@vicr3000 wrote:

@gleee58 wrote:
  They are a bunch of greedy, leaners who want the rest of us to work till we drop so they can indulge in the high life.

Really ?

You have the gaul to say that ?

The mind boggles

Have you sought a cure for that?  Or are you happy that it is at least  good for one thing?

Message 6 of 34
Latest reply

Election promises

@gleee58 wrote:

@ladydeburg wrote:

Because the loony nutters kicked Turnbull to the curb and picked Abbott as leader.

We had the perfect opportunity for change with the minority government who had to debate, consider more carefully and negotiate more than any other govt before but unfortunately we also got the world's biggest spoil sport as LOO.

Abbott is not suitable as a leader.  He is a sledger, in his owns words, that's all he was ever good at.   He's not a leader, he's a school yard bully boy who has a problem with people of higher intelligence, has a problem with women, has a problem with those who are not wealthy white men (or their wives), and the greatest travesty of all is that he has no vision for the future. 

We need leaders with ideas and vision for the future.  Not pretend leaders who are quick to blame the entire population of Australian for their failures rather than acknowledge their own shortcomings.  They are a bunch of greedy, leaners who want the rest of us to work till we drop so they can indulge in the high life.

I can see you are a passionate Labor supporter and I respect that, but  the topic is about political campaigns and the promises made in them.

Would it be better if they released a fully costed manifesto and read from that and not deviate from it?, would that work? I don't think so because the party in power has control of Treasury and don't allow the real states of budgets to be released before 5 minutes to midnight.

Message 7 of 34
Latest reply

Election promises

Well,if they want to raise the retirement age to 70,I have to agree with glee.And let's leave the French out of it. 😄
Message 8 of 34
Latest reply

Election promises

You have to be working to retire ! Smiley LOL

Blogging on a forum is not work.

Message 9 of 34
Latest reply

Election promises

@ladydeburg wrote:

I can see you are a passionate Labor supporter and I respect that, but  the topic is about political campaigns and the promises made in them.

If that's what you see you are seeing through a blinkered lens.

I am not a passionate Labor supporter.  Being turned off the conservatives by abbott and his merry band of selfish bully boys does not make one a passionate Labor supporter.  Did you not read my post before commenting?

Message 10 of 34
Latest reply