Every man's caravan is his castle

Every man's caravan is his castle as WA landowner fights to live in 'middle of nowhere'

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-06/every-mans-caravan-his-castle-menzies-landowner-fights-evictio...

Oh! for crying out loud, leave the guy alone!

how much money is this over the top council spending to make a point they have more power than him!

he musta upset someone high up is my guess.

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

wow, i just did a google map search for this hub of activity.

is it even classed as a town, well yes, its got a pub and a post office and obviously  ms rhonda evens, future premier i suspect.

talk about a little hitler, she was the only one who put her hand up when she decided they needed a council so shes is mayor, treasurer, and every other person on council i guess.

everyone else is in the pub.

yes, i can see all the rich and famous making a beeline for the senic views in menzies once she clears out the riff raff!

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

He's paying his rates. 

What the hell does he get for his money from them?

edit:  I just googled too.  Population of 108. North of Boulder.

And I thought Boulder was a long way from nowhere!

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

Living in the middle of nowhere is his choice. Like you, I feel he should be left alone.
Not everyone likes being in a large town or city.
Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

The poor guy.   They've got it in for him.   He's not hurting anybody  and has been creative with the  way he's living.  People like the Rhonda dragon and her cohorts make me want to throw up.   

Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

@bright.ton42 wrote:

The poor guy.   They've got it in for him.   He's not hurting anybody  and has been creative with the  way he's living.  People like the Rhonda dragon and her cohorts make me want to throw up.   

and if he died, in less than a day all of his belongings could be scraped up and disposed of leaving no trace he ever existed!

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

The council doesn't really have an option as it is illegal to do what he's done.

If councils allow this then they can face all sorts of legal ramifications if others try to do the same.

No matter where you go in Aus you have to have legal permission to set up a permanent home.

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

@go-tazz wrote:

The council doesn't really have an option as it is illegal to do what he's done.

If councils allow this then they can face all sorts of legal ramifications if others try to do the same.

No matter where you go in Aus you have to have legal permission to set up a permanent home.

he owns the land, he pay rates, gets no services.

if the council was collecting rubbish, supplying basic services....water, electricity decent roads.

then id agree, but, by taking this to court, making a 'thing' about it has

made the council (exactly what this council actually does is unknown) has made themselves look petty

and nasty.

my guess is, he could have towed his caravan to some lonely out of the way place, set up shop and squatted without any problem.

but he chose to 'buy' his bit of land and pay rates.

does this council have so many rate payers they can afford to chase one away?

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

@go-tazz wrote:

I doubt the caravan strictly is a permanent home.  It's on his land but it can easily be moved elsewhere.

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

just a thought

if, "If councils allow this then they can face all sorts of legal ramifications if others try to do the same."

maybe this council could do with a few more guys like this, paying rates citizens?

is there any councils that dont want more income?

so they turn a blind eye a bit. we are talking the outback here not suburbia.

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply