Flags

NZ government is threatneing to change NZ's flag.

I use the term threatening because I believe the $26 millon cost of changing the flag could be spent elsewhere; elsewhere where $26 million expenditure is needed.

However, I also believe NZ's flag needs to be changed.

Of the three elements on the current NZ flag, the Union Jack is on seven flags, the three colours on 23 flags & there is only two stars difference between the NZ & Australia flag. Because of the stars alone, I still have to look up how many stars the NZ flag has & some people don't even know where NZ is, least all what the Sthern Cross is. Stars are seen in all countries around the world therefore stars on a flag do not differentiate NZ from any other country. Futhermore a copied Union Jack & [a copy of] a cluster of stars does not represent NZ as well as it could.

Of the 13,000+ proposed new flags, several have the kiwi image, the kiwi been what NZders are referred to as & recognised throughout the world as. Several other proposals have the silver fern & the only recognition NZ gets for its sports achievement is throu' the media. These two new elements alone are far more representative of NZ.

And so, for all the kiwis living in Australia, what are your thoughts on changing the NZ flag?

_________________________________________________________________________________Ukraine Serbian residing in NZ who reads most PREVIOUS thread posts before posting her own.
Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Flags

I am not a NZlander, but I agree. New Zealand needs it's own flag.

Hopefully it can be done much cheaper than $26 millions.

Erica

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Flags

I do live in NZ and have always wanted a flag change, cant understand how it will cost 26 mil, nearly all flags are made in China 🙂

I think soon as a Government want to buy stuff the makers put the price up ten fold hahaha

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Flags

It wouldn't be cheap to do.  Every school, every government building, clubs and sporting grounds, all the signage that would need to changed and new stationery and letterheads so lots of printing costs.  

If the PM decides that they are coming after them then 10 flags for every conference and political address too.

Joono
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Flags

My very conservative, 85 year old, (NZ) National Party voting mother thinks it's time to change. Either the Silver Fern or the Koru will do she says.
That's good enough for me. Go for it NZ!
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Flags

the cost of $26 million is beyond me too lion Smiley Wink

_________________________________________________________________________________Ukraine Serbian residing in NZ who reads most PREVIOUS thread posts before posting her own.
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Flags

Me to, I think the Government just say that to try and put people off, lazy ahs

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply