For those that comment against conditions

For those that complain against social isolation and other measures to contain coronavirus citing relatively low casualty rates , and so seeking reducing or removing mitigation social conditions,  Ask yourself this : without the current containment measures how many extra cases would they be ? would our hospital system be overwhelmed and what would be the consequences , and would this result in proportionally many more severe cases, and so many more deaths . Think of those countries who did not respond quick enough. and ask yourself where you would rather live at this time . 

Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

I haven't seen anyone here complain about the social isolation measures so you may be preaching to the converted.

The thing I am noticing is the US toll is so much higher than that reported in China. Considering the population numbers in China & the fact the Chinese tend to live closer together, in apartments, that is amazing.

But when you read about the measures the Chinese government took to contain the virus, they were probably more draconian than anything a democratic government would dare.

I personally would much rather live in Australia than China, but I do wish our government had been stronger on all incoming travellers and had enforced, supervised 14 days quarantine introduced weeks earlier. None of this 'we want you go home and self isolate for 14 days'. That was never going to be obeyed by quite a few of them.

And i was reading that something like 10% of our cases trace back to Ruby Princess passengers. Big mistake right there.

We are doing okay but we could have done much better.

Message 2 of 54
Latest reply

I think the thing missed by most people is a substantial portion of the population are going to get the disease, it is just a question of controlling the curve to prevent the hospitals becoming overloaded. My own mum who is in her eighties is self isolating as is my wife and many other older and younger people.

The problem is they are going to have to self isolate for many months, probably at least until Christmas and maybe longer. The experts are now predicting 12 - 18 months before a vaccine may become available and isolation will have to continue untill this is available in order to avoid the virus.

For older people and those with immune deficiencies this may be understandable, but for healthy younger individuals the fear of contracting the virus and avoiding it at all costs seems to have outweighed common sense and medical / government advice.

The Government is effectively managing a herd immunity programme at a controlled rate, rather than complete avoidance as is indicated by schools and child care centres and supermarkets / shops still being open in many states. Everyone needs to follow government directives to allow the virus to spread in a managed, controlled way, but complete avoidance and isolation in the hope of completely avoiding the condition is probably over the top for most healthy, younger adults and is not actually the governments plan which is controlled spread to manage herd immunity without undue loss of life.

Message 3 of 54
Latest reply

I think it is missed to a certain extent, which is why i asked the question a few days ago as to what %  of the population the government perceived as likely to get it. What was an acceptable %. It is the one stat that is hard to come by.

For herd immunity, I have read that you need something like 60-90% of people to have had it (depending on the disease).

Once those figures are passed, the likelihood of getting it from someone randomly is lessened.

Flattening the curve though will give older people their best chance of getting decent hospital care if they do come down with it.

Plus of course the hope is some vaccine will come into being sooner rather than later.

The interesting thing if we look at the Spanish flu is that about a third of the world's population seems to have come down with it (according to internet sites). People back then did wear masks and tried to prevent the spread with isolation and some of the same measures we are taking now. It never did reach 60% or anywhere like it, but after a couple of years, the flu disappeared and that strain has not popped up again.

So I suspect the government here is hoping to limit numbers who get it so hospitals are not overwhelmed, but also aiming to avoid a total 60% infection rate, even over time. I would guess they hope to limit it to about a third, like the Spanish flu.

Whichever way we swing it, a third means something like 8 or 9 million Australians and the death rate is still most likely going to be 1-2%.

And I am also guessing but I would say that once the curve does flatten and numbers start to fall off a bit, the government will open nursing homes and such again to visitors. It will be done cautiously but with a realisation that it will result in some fall out and some deaths.

Message 4 of 54
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I haven't seen anyone here complain about the social isolation measures so you may be preaching to the converted.

I havent seen people complaining BUT I have seen posts where people are going out to have breakfast, having non family members visit for a beer, going to the hair dresser, going out to get their car washed  etc etc

So perhaps not everyone has yet been "converted"

Message 5 of 54
Latest reply

@rogespeed wrote:

For those that complain against social isolation and other measures to contain coronavirus citing relatively low casualty rates , and so seeking reducing or removing mitigation social conditions,  Ask yourself this : without the current containment measures how many extra cases would they be ? would our hospital system be overwhelmed and what would be the consequences , and would this result in proportionally many more severe cases, and so many more deaths . Think of those countries who did not respond quick enough. and ask yourself where you would rather live at this time . 

who here is complaining?

i see (read) many many voicing opinions but they all seem to be following the govts orders and 'doing the right thing'

me, ive not left my house to shop since monday, when i got my scripts sorted and a few groceries, milk and bead and dog meat.

i dont plan to leave again until sunday for basics, milk bread and dog meat. (plus toot paper lol)

ive cut taking leroy out walking from 4 times a day to 2, at 7am and aprox 6pm.

at 7am we see no one!

at 6pm we might see 2 or 3 also out walking their dogs (in the distance)

havent been closer that 500 metres as yet.

if i see any one i stop and see them well clear before moving on.

Message 6 of 54
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

The thing I am noticing is the US toll is so much higher than that reported in China. Considering the population numbers in China & the fact the Chinese tend to live closer together, in apartments, that is amazing.

But when you read about the measures the Chinese government took to contain the virus, they were probably more draconian than anything a democratic government would dare.

I personally would much rather live in Australia than China, but I do wish our government had been stronger on all incoming travellers and had enforced, supervised 14 days quarantine introduced weeks earlier. None of this 'we want you go home and self isolate for 14 days'. That was never going to be obeyed by quite a few of them.

And i was reading that something like 10% of our cases trace back to Ruby Princess passengers. Big mistake right there.

We are doing okay but we could have done much better.

Almost to amazing..... Wuham population = 11,000,0000 , Hubei provence population = 58,000,000

deaths 2303 after 3 months 

New York state population = 20,000,000 , deaths = 1562 after a few weeks  , with coronavirus disease already the 3rd highest cause of untimely death in America

https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus/article241677891.html

( meanwhile in Australia ..... 

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-healthe-care-private-hospital-company-stands-down-800-...  )

Message 7 of 54
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

@rogespeed wrote:

who here is complaining?

i see (read) many many voicing opinions but they all seem to be following the govts orders and 'doing the right thing'

me, ive not left my house to shop since monday, when i got my scripts sorted and a few groceries, milk and bead and dog meat.

i dont plan to leave again until sunday for basics, milk bread and dog meat. (plus toot paper lol)

ive cut taking leroy out walking from 4 times a day to 2, at 7am and aprox 6pm.

at 7am we see no one!

at 6pm we might see 2 or 3 also out walking their dogs (in the distance)

havent been closer that 500 metres as yet.

if i see any one i stop and see them well clear before moving on.

Who was complaining ?  To whom is questioning the validity of strict but limited quarantine.

Specifically a certain TV commentator , so represents so many thousands of citizens 

Hence my motive in replying as I do not agree 

Message 8 of 54
Latest reply

( meanwhile in Australia ..... 

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-healthe-care-private-hospital-company-stands-down-800-...  )

Chinese owned.....maybe we'll get it back

Message 9 of 54
Latest reply

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

@springyzone wrote:

I havent seen people complaining BUT I have seen posts where people are going out to have breakfast, having non family members visit for a beer, going to the hair dresser, going out to get their car washed  etc etc

So perhaps not everyone has yet been "converted"

I did not specifically say " here" as in those who contribute to this forum - my frame of reference is global , but maybe in future I will define my post better regarding those applicable 

Message 10 of 54
Latest reply