Garbage "Documentary Discussion"

Only Happy When It Rains- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esEdC0c3YI4 . . . . . No not that Garbage..

Inside the Garbage of the World- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtoGdrkt9EY . . . . . . there we go..

Is the Plastic Trash Island floating in the Pacific Ocean a myth? Are we getting poisoned? How long do we have before a worldwide disaster happen? This Documentary includes interview from Capt. Moore (Algalita Marine Research Institute), Anna Cummins (5 gyres Institute), Dr Andrea Neal (Jean-Michel Cousteau), Surfrider Foundation and a variety of Scientist and Doctors who have been researching how bad the situation is.  It will give you a real idea of how much damage we are creating and how fast we have to stop in order to survive the future

Fun Factor : Now you have a choice in chat, factor that
Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

vicr3000
Community Member

Joanie

Interesting comment by the skipper of the boat when they were picking up rubbish

"Single use items"

Trash from the moment it is used"

Words well worth keeping in mind when buying stuff.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

A compelling subject for discussion, and AFAIK, unless we immediately cease our current lifestyle, the potential for disaster is right around the corner.  You can't burn garbage, so much plastic would cause global warming.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

People want "cheap" and a "throwaway" society.

The days of buying one more expensive thing that lasts for years is over.

Plastic can be recycled without burning.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Why can't we go back to using Glass or Paper for Milk ?

(apart from profit and ease of transport)

Instead of the 6 - 8 x 2 litre bottles I use every week.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

@this-one-time-at-bandcamp wrote:

A compelling subject for discussion, and AFAIK, unless we immediately cease our current lifestyle, the potential for disaster is right around the corner.  You can't burn garbage, so much plastic would cause global warming.

Just one thing I have noticed. The huge amount of very good clothes thrown out.

Not just because the kids have grown out of them, adults throwing out clothes because of one little mark

- T shirts, jeans.

All made with a percentage of Nylon Polyester.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Plastic can be recycled without burning.

Only if people are willing to do so..............

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Not sure what you are getting at ?

That people don't recycle ?

Or the world doesn't want to ?

I know I didn't for years because council just dumped them at the tip.
Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Thanks Joanie.

I watched a video about the recycling of plastic bags, bottles, etc.  which eventually became polyester.  (Interesting process) Made into clothing or doona filling, etc.  What happens to that "plastic" when it is discarded as Vic mentions?  

Mention of going back to bottled milk.  The weight of the bottles would need a redesign of the current plastic fridge door.  A lot of product  in life seems to revolve around the "plastics" industry.  

DEBSmiley Frustrated  

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Would love to read the cradle to grave cost analysis of some of these products / packaging.

Sometimes it is cheaper, more environmentally friendly to use "plastic" of some sort.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply