For dog owners

A recent lawsuit filed against Nestle Purina PetCare Company is claiming that one of the company's most popular dog food brands contains toxins that are poisoning and even killing people's pets.

The lawsuit, filed in California federal court earlier this month by pet owner Frank Lucido, alleges that thousands of dogs have become ill or died as a result of eating Beneful dry kibble dog food.

Lucido and his family owned three dogs — a four-year-old German Shepherd, an eight-year-old English Bulldog and an 11-year-old Labrador — and began feeding the pets Beneful exclusively beginning in late December or early January,

By the end of January all three of the dogs became ill and the English Bulldog eventually died, according to the suit. A post-mortem examination revealed signs of internal bleeding in the dog's stomach and lesions on his liver. Similar symptoms were found in Lucido's German Shepherd, who became violently ill before the bulldog's death. A veterinary exam of the dog also showed signs of internal bleeding and liver malfunction "consistent with poisoning," the lawsuit said. Lucido's two remaining dogs remain in veterinary care, his lawyer said.......

Lucido's story is similar to more than 3,000 complaints consumers have made online of dogs becoming ill and in some cases dying after eating Beneful kibble style dog foods, according to the complaint. The consistent symptoms reported include stomach internal bleeding, malfunction or failure of the liver, vomiting, diarrhea and weight loss.

The lawsuit claims toxins in Beneful are to blame, listing propylene glycol and mycotoxins as possibly harmful substances in the dog food.

More ......

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/lawsuit-claims-purinas-beneful-poisoning-killing-dogs-n312176

I'll be watching this with interest. 

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

For dog owners

One of the reasons I only feed my dogs food I prepare myself
Message 2 of 40
Latest reply

For dog owners

that's disgraceful

how devastating for a dog lover to find out

that they have unwittingly poisoned their dogs

I had a kelpie border collie cross that lived for 19 years

and I gave her toast for breakfast and she ate what ever we had for tea

she loved my spaghetti

never turned down a meal stirfry, roast,curry,fish

although she did pick the peas out of anything  

Message 3 of 40
Latest reply

For dog owners

I thought the regulations had toughened up on what went into dog foods not that I've ever really trusted them the smell of some tinned dogs food is enough to make me gag.

My sympathies to any dog owner affected, I'd be devastated to think I'd unwittingly poisoned my dog
Message 4 of 40
Latest reply

For dog owners

Yes I think I'm going to have to rethink what I feed my dog,  I really don't trust any processed foods now, even Hill's which is expensive I see has had to withdraw food at times.  

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm399678.htm

Message 5 of 40
Latest reply

For dog owners

Thanks for posting.

I chop and change and mix what my dog eats, including dry food although I use Beneful.

Message 6 of 40
Latest reply

For dog owners

Vic, Perhaps USED, Beneful. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 7 of 40
Latest reply

For dog owners

My 4 dogs are all fed Supercoat, it's one of the few dry foods which doesnt cause them any allergies, which German Shepherds are often prone to suffer, I have used it for years and they are all very fit and healthy. 

Message 8 of 40
Latest reply

For dog owners

One line I noted in the story quoted

and began feeding the pets Beneful exclusively 

Not a balanced diet?  And no graduation into that kibble?

DEB

Message 9 of 40
Latest reply

For dog owners

yes I  agree and the same goes for humans

moderation is the spice of life and variety

I have and always will have dogs because they are so beautiful

and admit I do feed them dry kibble now but do try and buy dog food that is made in Australia

and we get chicken mince from the butchers and cook them up a big batch

with vegies and pasta  

@vicr3000 wrote:
Thanks for posting.

I chop and change and mix what my dog eats, including dry food although I use Beneful.

Message 10 of 40
Latest reply