Greens Senator. ....

GREENS Senator Larissa Waters has urged Christmas shoppers to rethink buying bright pink jewellery or dolls for little girls, linking gender-stereotyped toys to domestic violence and pay inequality.

The minor party’s gender spokeswoman has endorsed the ‘No Gender December’ campaign, set up by grassroots group Play Unlimited, which calls on retailers to stop using old-fashioned gender stereotypes as marketing ploys this Christmas.

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Greens Senator. ....

"

A. she didn't call for a ban on gender specific toys and 

B. Her daughter should be off limits 

Your revolting attacks on other people would be more appreciated on the Nuts and Bolts blog."

She brought eh issue up of kids, colour, etc, and telling us what to do wit our kids, so she let herself open to bringing her kids

into it as an example, especially if it is hypocritical.

If she didn't want her photo used on the internet, she shouldnt have posted it on the internet !!!

Fair game, she hasn't copyrighted it.

Message 31 of 36
Latest reply

alexander*beetle wrote: the last thing I would buy is a pink tool. I also think it implies, in a small way, that women need pink tools so that they are still feminine and can't handle 'real men' tools. Could be reading a lot into it I suppose but I wouldn't buy one as I found it somewhat insulting.  

Actually, i own a pink hammer; as well as dark green one and one with wooden handle.  I love the pink, it is easy to spot amongst the rubble when we renovate and I do not need to run after various tradesmen leaving the house with MY hammer LOL.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 32 of 36
Latest reply

@aps1080 wrote:

"

A. she didn't call for a ban on gender specific toys and 

B. Her daughter should be off limits 

Your revolting attacks on other people would be more appreciated on the Nuts and Bolts blog."

She brought eh issue up of kids, colour, etc, and telling us what to do wit our kids, so she let herself open to bringing her kids

into it as an example, especially if it is hypocritical.

If she didn't want her photo used on the internet, she shouldnt have posted it on the internet !!!

Fair game, she hasn't copyrighted it.

No, she did not tell anyone what to do with their kids.  Her comment was about the advertising and stereotyping .

No, she was misquoted. "It’s really not that I have an aversion to certain types of toys but rather that I think that kids should be able to play with whatever toys interest them. What I object to is children not playing with toys marketed as exclusively for one gender because they feel like they need to conform to gender stereotypes. We know that setting rigid gender roles perpetuates attitudes of inequality, which leads to very serious problems, such as domestic violence, the gender pay gap and the under-representation of women in politics and other fields....Of course, the gendered marketing of toys is just a small piece of the cultural context that creates attitudes of gender inequality. But it doesn’t mean that we should ignore the issue." - Larissa Waters

And no it's not fair game to use very young children at attack pollies.  

The people using this photo are the same ones who say the PMs adult daughters should be off limits.

Message 33 of 36
Latest reply

"We know that setting rigid gender roles perpetuates attitudes of inequality, "

And the photo shows here daughter in a gender role dress.

And Abbotts daughters are not off limits, he took them on the campaign trail so they became fair game at that time.

However, releasing the info on the scholarship is a different matter.

Message 34 of 36
Latest reply

Hi everyone, the discussion is getting a little heated.  Please be sure to keep your communications civil.  Thanks!

Message 35 of 36
Latest reply

Mr Katter is unimpressed with the campaign and the Greens' support for it.

"I think all the presents I have anything to do with - all the boys are getting guns and the girls are getting dolls," Mr Katter said.

"Viva la difference."

Says it all.

Message 36 of 36
Latest reply